- 9 - Pep Rally

"Juliet, can I tell you something?"

To say I was surprised that Quinn was asking to tell me something would be the understatement of the year. "Why me? We hardly know each other."

"That's exactly why. You don't know me or my past so you won't judge me like the others will."

Others? "Oh. Of course, Quinn. I'm all ears."

"I'm pregnant."

"Quinn Fabray is pregnant? The Quinn Fabray, president of the Celibacy Club, is pregnant? I think my ears are failing me. Correction: to say that I was surprised about this would be the understatement of the year." "Wow. I mean, congrats, Quinn!"

"Thanks but... I don't know if this is really something worth congratulating."

"Do you want kids?"

"I mean, I guess, but I never thought about having kids now. How am I supposed to raise a child? I'm only a sophomore in high school."

"Could your parents help you?"

"God no. My parents are strict Catholics. I can't imagine how they would react to this."

"They're gonna find out at some point, Quinn."

"I know, I know. I just want to keep it a secret as long as I can."

"I understand that, it's your news. You don't have to tell people until you're ready." I extended my hand to her shoulder. "And you know, you don't have to keep the baby. You have options, Quinn."

"I would never abort a child!"

"No, that's not what I meant! I didn't mean for you to abort it. You could give the baby up for adoption."

"Oh, right." She paused. "I just don't know if I could do that, though. After growing a child inside of me for nine months... I don't know if I could give it up that easily, you know?"

"Of course. The emotions you feel now and the emotions you'll feel later are perfectly valid. You don't have to make excuses, Quinn."

"Thank you, Juliet."

I've never seen such an emotional and vulnerable side of Quinn. I could tell this was really eating at her because she's so cold to others. Maybe that's why she's so mean, she just has to put up a shield to protect herself. "You know all of us in Glee Club are here for you, right?"

She nodded. "Please don't tell anyone."

"I would never."

---

"Now, I know we don't need any more members to be competition eligible, but... we're going to sing at this week's pep rally!"

"Mr. Schue," Finn started. "That's not a lot of time. What are we going to sing?"

"Great question, Finn. I wondered that myself too. But, I think your mash ups would be good. You can split again and sing those separately, and then we come together for one song at the end."

"What song?" I asked.

Mr. Schuester grabbed a stack of sheet music from the piano. "'No Air.' Quinn and Finn are going to solo for this one."

I turned to Quinn and smiled. She walked into the choir room apprehensively after our talk this morning, and I figured she could use some extra encouragement. I do think this could be really good for Quinn. Actually, this could be really good for us, too. I mean, Quinn and Finn are both at the top of the popularity food chain. But more importantly, I think this will help Quinn.

"Let's start looking over this music. We perform Friday afternoon."

---

I've felt almost out of place at Glee Club and cheer practice since Quinn told me she's pregnant. It's not that I would tell her secret, I would never... I just feel like I'm the only one that understands what she's going through. She keeps lying when Coach Sylvester asks why she's so tired. And then when Coach asks Santana, Brittany, and I if we're exhausted too, I lie and say that I am. Maybe that makes me a bad person, but Quinn trusted me with her secret and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize that. I bet a lot of people, people Quinn has been mean to, wouldn't care this much. Most of those people are in Glee Club. But maybe that's why I want to help her so much. If, no when, everyone finds out, her life will change drastically. Her best friends are Cheerios. No one in Glee Club would stick up for her, and I guess I want to be that person. Am I naive? Maybe. But am I kind? Yes.

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday came and went with ease. We quickly arrived at Friday, the day of the pep rally. I have to admit, I was a little nervous. I mean, half the people in this school hate everyone in Glee Club. Who wouldn't be intimidated performing in front of them?

We had one final rehearsal in class before the assembly. "It's just like we practiced," I thought. "I've sang in front of people countless times. There's nothing to worry about."

After some school news and a short introduction from Principal Figgings, Quinn and Finn opened with "No Air." Who better to sing first than the cheer captain and football quarterback? After they finished, Quinn joined us girls in singing "Walking on Sunshine/(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman." Mercedes and Rachel are a killer combination. The boys finished it off with "It's My Life/Walk This Way." I'm glad Mr. Schue chose them to go last, partly because they give the lasting impression. And I think they actually performed better this time than last week.

When we arrived back in the choir room after the pep rally dismissal, Mr. Schue gave us a big round of applause. "Great job, you guys! You all sang very, very well. That's a little taste for what you have to expect at Sectionals, singing in front of a large audience." Again, that thought made me a tad bit nervous, but I reminded myself that I've done it before. "I'm not gonna keep you all here forever. Go on to your next class and enjoy your weekend!"

We dispersed and went our separate ways. I went to my last class, math. Everyone in this class seems to lack the concentration needed to learn at the end of the day. I can't lie and say that I'm never tired at the end of the day, but I never zone out completely. If nothing else, they give me the opportunity to shine. I've always liked math, and being the only one paying attention makes me look even better.

My phone vibrates partway through class. It's a text from Quinn. "I trusted you, Juliet! I can't believe you did this?"

"Did what?"

"You told Jacob Ben Israel, of all people! Now everyone knows!"

"Quinn, I really don't know what you're talking about."

"Someone told him that I'm pregnant, Williams. You're the only one I've told. I can't believe I trusted you, you dirty little snake."

"I swear to you, I didn't say anything! I told you I wouldn't tell anyone, you have to believe me."

"To think I trusted you, Juliet. I really thought I could trust you, and this is what you do."

My heart sank in my chest, and my body sank deeper into my chair. Normally nothing would distract me from class, but this certainly did the trick.