Chapter 5: The Chalices

Jack and I ran through the jungle, finally reaching a clearing right by the beach. Jack was running alongside me, and he suddenly tripped and fell on his face. I stopped running and turned to watch, and he stood up and nonsensically whacked the bush with his sword before we continued running.

We raced alongside the water until we reached an enormous archway of a beautiful cave, with the Santiago perched at the top

Jack stopped in front of it and said, "The Santiago. Famously captained by Ponce de Leon."

"I haven't heard of him," I said.

Seagulls were crying around us and Jack marched forward, placing his hand gently upon the small of my back to guide me toward the ancient ship. His touch caught me by surprise, and the pressure from his hand brought warmth to my skin.

"Juan Ponce de León was a Spanish pirate, born in 1474," he enlightened as we began our hike up to the ship. "He died looking for the Fountain of Youth."

"Who says he's dead?" I asked.

"Umm... common sense," Jack chuckled. I thought it was ironic that he was talking to me about common sense.

I continued, "I mean, what if he did find it? And he's been feeding on the souls of those who come to find him?"

Jack knitted his eyebrows together, "if he comes after us, I will humbly sacrifice you first."

"Oh, how gallant of you," I rolled my eyes. "I'd take a bullet for you, Jack, but I'd much rather you take a bullet for me."

It grew dark and we were still climbing up the cliff, finally The Santiago was very close. It was stuck overhead in-between rocks. Dark vines hung from the sails, plants grew on it, and the wood had been rotting away for centuries. Jack stopped to admire it, the wind blew his heavy hair back slightly.

As we continued to climb up, I asked, "where's the map? Did you lose it?"

"Not so much as 'lost it' as I put it somewhere and cannot remember where it is that I put it."

"Jack, you must remember where you put important objects like that."

"I'm already beating me-onesie up about it, why kick me when I'm down?"

I was silent for a moment before I changed the subject. I said, "you and Angelica seem close."

"That lass is all over me. All this—" he gestured to his body "—with a personality is just far too much."

Jack led me up to the ship, where we found a broken floorboard underneath. We both looked above at the bottom of the ship, and then at each other. It was eerie. I was the first to say, "you first."

"What? Why me?" He asked with his nostrils flexed.

"You're the man. I don't mean to sacrifice you, but..." I took a small step back and pushed him forward.