𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 6

"I'm fine

"I'm fine. No need to fuzz, Sue. It's just a little scratch," Edmund tried to get his sister off him and hurry to his rooms.

"Just a little scratch? Ed, you opened your head. Where else did you get hurt?" Susan asked, trying to get a look at the wound Peridan had told her about earlier. 

You see, Edmund and Peridan had been gone for a while. For the first three days, Susan didn't worry. But by the fifth, both she and Lucy were beginning to get a little anxious. Five days and no word from Edmund and Peridan. Something must have gone wrong! But then that night, after having dinner, Susan and Lucy ran into Lord Peridan.  

"Peridan?" Susan asked not believing her eyes. He was back! Which meant Edmund was back!

Oh, golly, what happened to him? Those bags under his eyes are very much unbecoming. And why is he so dirty? I don't think I've ever seen him dirty. And what's with all the bruises and small cuts? Something must have gone terribly wrong.

"Your Majesties, hello," he smiled at them and approached.

Huh. He is smiling. Everything must have gone alright then. But, gods, he looks...

"You look dreadful," Lucy said bluntly as they both came to a halt in front of Peridan.

Susan nudged her sister.

"Sorry," Lucy apologized. "I meant to say you don't... look like... your usual self,"

"No, no. I am fairly sure dreadful is the correct word," Peridan agreed with a good sense of humour. "I feel dreadful," he informed them. "I don't think I've had a proper night's sleep since we left the castle," he scratched the back of his head.

"Are you alright?" Susan asked, concerned.

"Oh, in perfect health," he showed her a most perfect smile.

"And our brother? Is he back yet?" Susan asked.

"Yes. I just left him back there," he glanced behind him. "He mentioned going to the kitchens to eat something before going to the infirmary,"

Susan drew a hand to her heart and gasped. "Oh, don't worry, King Edmund is perfectly fine. He just took a light hit to the head," Susan's eyes almost doubled in size.

"A light hit?" Lucy asked.

"Just a superficial cut, nothing to worry," he assured them quickly, "He's perfectly fine. I promise. Just a tad cranky from the lack of sleep,"

"That does sound like Edmund," Lucy laughed a bit and then she and Susan went to wait outside the infirmary for Edmund to show up.

They didn't have to wait for long, a few minutes later Edmund walked around the corner brushing the crumbs from the almond cookie he had just finished eating off his fingers.