𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 10

Her expression had been confirmation enough

Her expression had been confirmation enough. She was a siren. A siren. A man-eating siren. A killer, a liar. And he had invited her into the heart of his kingdom. 

"Not one word from your lips, Lady, or you'll find just how sharp I keep my blade," Edmund said, the tip of his sword hovering a breath away from her throat. 

"I–" she began but instantly learned Edmund did not make idle threats. 

His sword made contact, its tip knicking her throat, and a bead of crimson blood rolled down her pale neck. 

"Not one word," Edmund repeated and then called for the guards. 

The guards were quick and, despite her struggle, restrained her and gagged her as Edmund instructed. 

"That's a siren you've got there," he told the guards, looking at her with contempt, sword still firmly grasped. "Lock her in the western tower and call for Lord Peridan," Edmund said and watched her being dragged a way. 

A bloody siren. He had taken a bloody siren home. His brother would think him a fool. 

"And you're sure she is a siren?" Peridan asked Edmund

"And you're sure she is a siren?" Peridan asked Edmund. Over breakfast, the king had explained to his best friend what had happened earlier, for he wasn't as well versed in mermaid or siren lore as Peridan. He really ought to pick up a book on the matter soon, he thought, but unlike books, Peridan came with advice. 

"The look on her face all but confirmed it," Edmund said from his chair. Plates with scraps of food between them. 

"But she didn't tell you she was one," Peridan said and picked up his goblet to finish the last of his wine. 

"She didn't deny it either," Edmund said. 

"Did you give her a chance to?" Peridan asked. 

"I..." 

Peridan sighed. "So let me get this straight, you had your guest bound and gagged and locked in a tower before giving her a chance to explain herself?" 

When he put it like that of course it sounded terrible, but that was ignoring the big fact. She was a siren! "If I allowed her to speak and she was a siren, she could have bewitched me," Edmund defended his actions.