𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 3

Edmund was not expecting to hear that. Eating mermaids grants you immortality? Where did that come from?

"What?! That's-that's savage. That's- why would anyone... is it even true?" he asked, baffled by the revelation.

"Of course not," she laughed a beautiful laugh at the ridiculousness of the notion. "If that were the case there'd be dozens of immortal sharks out there,"

Edmund laughed with her. The idea was ridiculous now that he thought of it.

"But why would they think that?" he asked once the laughter had died out.

"How should I know. You men are all absurd creatures," she said, chuckling a little.

Edmund got the feeling she didn't think very highly of humans.

"You would think they would have realized by now that eating us won't make them live forever," she continued, "but nooo, your lot is still at it,"

Just when Edmund thought they were starting to get along.

"I thought we had established its not my people who hunt you," Edmund grumbled. He was not enjoying having baseless accusations thrown against him. Or at his people.

"You're men. You're all the same," Aglaophœna said, looking away from him at the end.

"I take it you're not one of the Narnian mermaids then," Edmund said. A Narnian mermaid would never behave so rudely, especially towards the King.

"The Narnian mermaids, do not get me started on them," she huffed.

"What's wrong with the Narnian mermaids," Edmund asked, defensively. He liked the Narnian mermaids. The Narnian mermaids had sung at his coronation. The Narnian mermaids would never behave so disrespectfully before him.

"Mermaids consorting with land-people, bowing down to human Kings," she scoffed, "it's not right,"

"You're consorting with me right now," Edmund pointed out.

"That's different. I didn't choose to come here, you brought me," she said, accusingly.

"Hey, I saved you," Edmund stated.

"Against my will," Aglaophœna retorted.

"Would you rather I let you die on the beach?"

She did not reply.

"That's what I thought," he added and glanced at the window. The raining had intensified.

"So, not a Narnian mermaid. Where are you from then?" He asked.

"I'm from the free waters of the north," she said proudly. "And we bow to no men," she added, just to make it clear.

Can she be more arrogant? Edmund thought.