Chapter 15: Regret

Hello my children, I have yet again presented a new chapter to you.

I can't thank you all enough for all the support, it's so amazing! <3

It's been a while since I've posted, I've been reading a LOT of dreamnoblade and mcyt oneshots, in fact I think I've read almost 200 stories under the dreamnoblade tag lmao

Also my mom took my phone and laptop earlier so I had to beg my brother to lend me his old and laggy tablet oof

Let's begin!

~

Once again, he was punched in his jaw, stumbling backwards while touching the dark bruise that was slowly forming near his cheek. Agitated, he swung his fist forward, hitting Schlatt in the forehead before finishing him off by kicking him in the chest, sending him flying.

His victory was shortlived, however, as his opponent quickly got back onto his feet. Schlatt surged forward again, pouncing onto Wilbur and knocking him onto the ground. They punched and kicked on the floor, neither backing down.

They managed to end up in a position were Schlatt was on top of him, repeatedly punching him in the face. The small audience gasped as bloody bruises and cuts formed on Wilbur's face. Then, a burst of confidence sparked in him.

The man mustered all his strength to retract his leg before planting a hard kick into Schlatt, once again sending him backwards. 

Both men stood up again face to face, glaring at each other. No words were uttered, but so much could be understood from just their looks. 

Wilbur made the first move, charging in front.

His friends watched nervously as they fought, Wilbur growing weaker and weaker by the seconds.

Grunts and cries of pain filled the air, adding to the tense and suspenseful setting of the castle. If one didn't know about the duel inside, they would think it was some kind of a torture chamber.

Eyes darted left and right, watching the two men send punches and kicks to each other, both getting to their feet everytime they were knocked over.

Child Schlatt and Wilbur from the past would have never thought the two "best friends forever" would be in this situation now, fighting for the lives of an entire city. 

Then, everything stopped.

Schlatt spluttered, clutching his abdomen and stumbling back. Blood seeped through his fingers, soaking through his white clothing. He looked up at the man, red dripping from his lips.

Wilbur stood there and watched him, a bloody blade in hand. Expressionless. Straight-faced. Emotionless. He just watched. His insides felt hollow, empty, like he was just feeling absolutely nothing. No sadness, happiness, regret. He was there, arms by his side, looking at the dying man.

Now, Wilbur, being the psychopathic bitch he was, would normally have a smirk pulling at his mouth, or a glint in his eyes. But this time, he didnt. It was like he was unsure what to feel, unsure what to do. The only thing going on in his head was memories of him and Schlatt from long ago...

"You have to promise, okay?"
"I just did! Now you have to!" Schlatt protested.
"Fine, I promise."
"Oh, come on, repeat it properly!"
Wilbur giggled. "Alright. I promise, that no matter what happens, we'll remain best friends!"
"Even if I killed someone?"
"Duh. Ditching you would just be stupid, you'll kill me too."
"Ok, what if one of us became rich or famous?"
"We'll still be friends. Ditching someone because of fame or wealth is not pog."

"Woah, what happened?" Wilbur helped him to sit down, worried. "My parents, of course." Schlatt chuckled before wincing.
"What did you do now?" he joked.
Schlatt paused. "I... I wasn't good enough."
Will frowned. "Don't say that."
"But it's true, isn't it?" he sighed. "You know, Wilbur, sometimes I just wished I was you.
"You know, you're smarter, more talented, more confident. You speak four languages while I struggle to learn two. You play the guitar and the piano and I don't play any instruments. And on top of that, you're good looking, charismatic and confident, every one likes you. I'm basically a piece of shit next to you. I don't blame my parents for constantly comparing you to me."
"Pfft, you don't want that. Being the perfect person isn't always the best either." Wilbur shook his head.
Schlatt sighed and stared at the floor. "Y-you're right. I'm over exaggerating. Sorry." He mumbled.

"Look! There she is! Isn't she beautiful in her new dress?" Schlatt pointed at the girl excitedly.
Wilbur agreed. "Yeah, she is, I guess."
"You think I should ask her out? Even though we're just friends?"
"Yeah man! Give it a shot!"
In the end, Schlatt returned, dejected. The 'love of his life' had rejected him, breaking the news that she unfortunately liked someone else. She never mentioned who that someone was, but it was clear it was Mr. Perfect, also known as his best friend, and that was completely understandable.

"How could you, Will?" he had cried. "I trusted you!"
"Jeez, calm down, it's not a big deal."
"You know I have social anxiety! Why did you do that?"
"Come on, don't be so dramatic. We're friends, aren't we? You know, you're kinda boring compared to the people there."
"You mean, your new friends? Your new best friends you humiliated me with?"
"It was just a harmless joke! You're just exaggerating!"
Schlatt sighed. "You're right. You're right. Sorry."

It was at that moment Wilbur realised what a dick he had been to his misunderstood best friend. He knew he had never been the best to him, but all the memories that flowed back really opened his eyes. He always had an excuse: They were young and naive children. But in honesty, all these events took place when they were matured teenagers. He just didn't want to admit it.

All his life, he was misunderstood. He was constantly compared to people. Constantly shamed. Abused. Controlled. Made fun of. Bullied. But Wilbur's huge ego just blocked him from realising his friend's true feelings. He would accuse him of 'exaggerating' or 'not being able to take a joke.'

He found himself dropping onto his knees next to his dying friend. He slowly slipped back to reality, slowly feeling his emotions return.

"No, I'm sorry..." he muttered. "I shouldn't have..." he was unable to form a sentence.

"You kinda cheated over there," Schlatt chuckled lightheartedly.

"Shit, I'm so sorry, I'm sorry for all those years, treating you like shit, neglecting you, I'm really..."

"What's the point of telling me now, Will?"

Wilbur paused. "I- I could try to heal you-"

"No, Wilbur, it's okay. I forgive you."

Wilbur breathed. "Well-"

"This is my fate. Don't worry about me."

Wilbur stuttered a bit, but had no idea how to respond.

"This was stupid," Schlatt said. "I was stupid. I fell for the person who I thought wouldn't accept me. The person everyone wanted."

"Nikki would have accepted you," Wilbur said softly. "Why wouldn't she?"

Schlatt smiled weakly, rolling his eyes like he just said something dumb. "It wasn't her, dumbass, it was never her. She was just a cover up. I was selfish, I just wanted conflict. I wanted you to feel the sadness of giving her up."

Wilbur furrowed his eyebrows, confused. "Then who was it...?"

Schlatt chuckled. "I gave you two big hints already, 'wouldn't accept me' and 'everyone wanted'." He locked eye contact with Wilbur.

"It was you."

~

Ooh~ did I just add in some Schlattbur over there? Yessir

Again I'm so sorry I didn't update the story in a literal week, I was literally obsessed with Dreamnoblade fanfics and I tried re-reading Percy Jackson lol

Thank you for reading!

-dainty (idk how you do the heart emoticon on tablet so here is an emoji lol 💖)