Chapter 8: Closer

Sorry for the late upload!

THANK YOU FOR 2K+ READS!! <3

I felt like the song above fit the chapter :D

Q: And, I've seen many authors do this, how old do you think I am? 

Enjoy! <3

"I absolutely hate this," Tommy grumbled as the horses trotted through the hot desert. "How are we even in a desert? We were just climbing up wet forests and suddenly we're walking through this? What is this shit?"

"Stop complaining, Tommy, we're almost there." Wilbur sighed. He stopped his horse and held his hand above him, blocking the sunlight and squinting around for a way. Their faces were all red and sweaty from riding horses in the scorching heat. It was way past noon already, but the sun was still glaring down at them. "Oh..."

"Wha- what's wrong now?"

"We went in the wrong direction. We're meant to go that way," he pointed to the opposite side of the desert. "North. But we went West ."

"Oh, come on!" Tommy groaned and threw his head back in annoyance.

"Hey, don't blame me, blame the compass! There's some kind of weird magnetic force somewhere." Wilbur smacked the compass. 

"Well, we can always continue our journey later, right? We can rest now, right?" Sapnap asked hopefully, wiping his forehead.

Wilbur sighed. "Sure. Pitch the tents. We're staying here for tonight."

~

As the minutes passed, the temperature grew colder. According to Wilbur, these kind of deserts were really hot in the day, but really cold at night.

Like the last time, Dream and Techno shared a tent. Due to them having no interaction whatsoever on the journey, it was awkward. They sat side by side in the cool and dark tent, with only a small candle illuminating it. Both of them had an urge to start a conversation, but didn't know how to. 

"Sorry," Dream finally broke the silence.

"What?" Techno turned his head.

"About last night," he felt heat rise to his face. "The kiss."

Techno rose his eyebrow.

"I didn't mean it," Right when he said that, he immediately regretted it, seeing Techno's expression drop in the corner of his eye. Panicking, he added, "I mean, no, it's not that I didn't mean it, it's because- well, I did, but I know you probably-"

How could he tell him that he liked him? What if he didn't like him? Maybe he was uncomfortable with the kiss? Maybe he thought he didn't mean it? Maybe he thought he did mean it, but he didn't feel the same way?

So many thoughts built up in his head. He didn't know what to say. So they sat in awkward silence, refusing to maintain eye contact with each other. 

"You know," Techno sighed, slowly getting up. "I think I'll just sleep in Wilbur's tent."

"Wait!" he grabbed his hand. "I mean, please stay, I- I'm sorry-"

Techno sat back down and looked at Dream expectantly. Dream undid the ribbons of his mask and took it off in attempt to make the apology more sincere.

"Woah," Techno looked away.

Dream tilted his head, confused. Looking closer, he realised the boy's face was matching his hair colour. His mouth curled into a smirk.

"Oooh~ is Techno blushing?" he teased.

"You wish," Techno rolled his eyes. "I don't blush nor feel any sense of love."