Chapter 2: Tension

Here's the second chapter to the story! :)

Also special thanks to the two people who voted my story, it means a lot! <3

Warnings: Some swearing

This chapter is quite long compared to my last chapter ahaha

Well, let's start! Enjoy!

The rays of sunlight shone into the room, causing Dream to squint and  put his hand over his eyes, sighing. Today was the day. He was going to hunt that monster down for once and for all. Grunting, he got out of bed and went to the bathroom to get ready.

After brushing his teeth and washing his face, he slung his backpack over his shoulder, making his way to George's room, where they would all meet. 

"About time," Sapnap rolled his eyes. "You're like, four minutes late."

The blonde scoffed. "Come on, let's go before Wilbur or anyone else spots us." 

And so, they snuck around the bonfire and uphill, into the deep woods. 

This part of the forest was one of the most dangerous parts; it was the forest with the most monsters and deaths, well, compared to other forests. Withering and old trees towered over them, their barks heavily infested by insects and other creatures. The ground was wet and muddy, every step they took made a loud squelch. 

The broad leaves of the plants blocked the sun rays, refusing to let any sunlight into the woods, consumed by darkness. Soft breezes occasionally came by and carressed their faces. The air was thick and moist, making it harder to breathe by the seconds. The further they walked, the heavier his backpack felt on Dream's shoulders. 

They hiked up the mountain, going through the dead plants and dirty ground. Torn wooden planks lay in the mud, horrifying scratches engraved on them. 

"Wait," Dream kneeled down and examined one of them. He ran his hand across the texture of the plank. "Acacia," he whispered, his eyebrows knitting. He noticed some splatters of fresh blood on it, perhaps from some hours ago.

"The village attacked yesterday, it wasn't made of acacia wood. Which means it has attacked another village." he looked up and back at his confused friends. "Which means it's going up. It doesn't have a pattern." he twisted his fingers. "We have no idea what to expect."

"Do know where we are going?" George interrupted. 

"Uh, well, we should be going up south. The plank must have come from there" Dream guessed.

"This is insane," Sapnap muttered. "This creature has been destroying villages within a few days, we're no match against it. I should probably just go-" 

"Please, Sap, we need to protect our people." he begged. "I know it's dangerous, but we have to take the risk. I'm willing to. Are you?"

Sap looked at Dream's emerald eyes, a glimmer of hope lingering in them. "Yes. I am." he exhaled. "But if we die, you're paying for my medical fees."

Dream chuckled as they continued walking. 

Suddenly, something rustled in the bushes. He spinned around, aiming his axe at the direction of the sound. "Who's there?" he demanded. 

Silence.

"Who's there!?" Dream repeated. A child (lol) emerged from the bushes, hands above his head in surrender. He had blonde, messy hair and wore a red and white button shirt. He seemed to attempt to look tough, but his sapphire eyes glimmered in fear.