Eighteen: The Mann in the Market

Spy showing up to my place of work last week is one thing, but Sniper and Engie inside my home this week is another.

Henry, in his latest stroke of genius, did I-don't-know-what to the pipes. He has a master key, so he could've just screwed around with the piping in our kitchen and bathroom while we were both away at work. Nothing was working this morning. Nothing. It was misery to get ready, and our next-door neighbor- an older woman who's extremely lonely- was kind enough to let us use her water supply. It was weird showering in someone else's space, but it was a necessary discomfort. Miss Pauling said she'd find a guy to fix it, but I wasn't expecting the very people I was avoiding.

The two haven't noticed me yet as I stand in the doorway, Engie halfway missing into the cabinet under the sink and Sniper holding the flashlight for him with his head in the cabinet as well. I stare for a while, unsure of how to approach this situation. Miss Pauling comes out of her room and looks at me. I twist my face in a pleading manner, hoping she won't acknowledge me.

"Hey, welcome home," she says, crossing her arms. My brows lower.

Sniper bumps his head and yelps, backing out of the cupboard and looking toward me. Engie slides out as well, growing a grin when he sees me. I showcase a strained smile, but more so over the fact that Engie is seen yet again not wearing his hard hat. He still wears his goggles, and Sniper replaces his hat that was resting on the dining table. Both are dressed casually in the sense that they aren't wearing anything that would tie them to being classed mercenaries. Engie reaches for me.

"Hey, funny story, I think I forgot to go pick up some stuff at the store so, Eng-- I- I guess this is what we're doing now." He pulls me into a hug and rests his head in the crook of my neck, his arms wrapping around my waist. The stubble on his chin scratches against my skin. I sigh and hesitate for a few moments before hugging him back with my arms around his neck. "Howdy, partner."

"Don't you 'howdy, partner' me," he whines, releasing me and placing his hands on my shoulders. "You mind telling me what the hell all of this is?"

"It's me, going to the store so I can wait for you guys to leave my apartment."

"Hold on there just one second-" Engie stops me from leaving. "It's good to see your face again, Miss Fredrickson."

"I'm not Miss Fredrickson," I argue.

"Bah." Sniper keeps his distance by standing with Miss Pauling. "Who else would you be?"

"Mona," I blurt, "because that's my name."

"Fredrickson is still part of your name," Miss Pauling joins to oppose me. "They're nowhere near wrong for calling you such. But, I can run down to the store instead, consid--"

"Uh-huh nope, don't worry I got it," I hum. "I'm going to go pick some stuff up at the store."

"I'll drive you." Sniper raises his hand. "It's getting late, wouldn't be too kind to have you out by yourself."

"No, it's fine, I-I'm- I'm going now. Please don't be here when I get back." Engie refuses to let me go despite my protests.

"He's got a point, Miss Fredrickson," he alleges. "I have to fix this mess, and Sniper ain't much help on his own; Can't even hold a flashlight in the right place and you'd think--"

"You're bloody inconsistent!" Sniper raises his voice. "I can't read minds, so you have to tell me when to move it."

'Goodbye," I interject and duck out, footsteps following close behind. I pick up the pace and start running down the stairs. Whoever's following me catches up and turns me around, Sniper standing before me.