Forty-Four: Swallow Your Pride

I've been thinking.

That's all I can do.

Think.

I don't pay too much mind to my brothers. Every time my life is in danger, I never think about what happens to my brothers. It's always about me. Am I going to live through this? Will I ever see another day? Do I really care about them if their continuing on without me never crosses my mind when I'm literally about to die? They never so much as rung a bell when I was dead for three days and living it all normal in the afterlife apartment.

If I ever told them that, would they forgive me?

Would they still love me and want to be around me if I told them I never have them in my thoughts when I'm on the brink of death. I didn't think about them until just now. Walking for.... Mmm... Let's say eight hours. The sun is in assault mode, my mouth is dry, and I'm running low on moisture to continue producing sweat. I refuse to admit that our circumstances are bleak and dire. I absolutely will not say so.

He's testing my patience, though. He's been nothing but mean and depressing. He wants me to give up, and I told him to just stop trying to make small talk with me after he brought up my reproductive system again. I don't even want the damn thing right now. If Sniper knew what Seylor was doing to me, he'd shut right up. I have to be the optimist out of the two of us, and I am. I know for a fact we'll make it. I sound like a broken record, but I have to. We're going to live. Both of us are. Screw the contract. My only concern is Sniper's safety. He's been taking longer and longer to respond to me when I call on him. Which reminds me.

"Sniper."

"Luv." He answers me in seconds this time.

"Are you thirsty?"

"Yea." I veer further off the road and search for a big enough open spot that would also shield us among the bushes, finding a suitable spot with a large rock surrounded by tall shrubbery. I set Sniper down as gently as I can, propping him up against the boulder, and sitting next to him as I get the canteen out. "Take a sip."

"You first." He knows to not argue with me anymore at this point and tilts his head up. He tries to have as little as possible to leave some for me, but he can't help himself. His body needs it. He gulps it down and hums when he's had enough. I take a tiny bit for myself which has him encourage me to take more. I deny and screw the cap back on.

"Think about yourself for fi-fi-- Huh, for five seconds, Sheila."

"That's called being selfish, especially right now."

"It's called looking out for yourself." He weakly challenges. Like when he almost left me in the van wreck? He's pale and weaving in and out of consciousness. I won't make the promise to him. It's not over until it's over.

"Let's go," I propose and pick up again. He has a hacking fit when I lift him up. Don't do this to me, Sniper. I need you. I never would've thought to walk in the low grass next to the road since the sand would capture my footprints, Sniper, please. He hasn't given me many tips, but the ones he has are essential. I start walking, even though he's still coughing. Any movement is good movement. I don't remember driving over this hill, but I wasn't paying much mind on our way out, anyway. The road loops downward, so I could cut down if I wanted to. A jeep approaches behind us, and I freeze, unsure of what to do. Is that Seylor? A savior? I keep walking in case it is him, not that it would do us much good. The engine revs, and I hobble as fast as I can, not wanting to agitate Sniper's wounds.

"Sniper," I call for him. He doesn't answer. "Sniper!"

He's probably passed out. I keep trying to make it to the edge of the hill so can I slant my feet downward and make the quick way down. My foot gets caught on the brush, and I stumble forward. Sniper doesn't respond to this. Moving my fingers down to his wrist, the feeling of any pulse is missing. I run as if the city is right around the corner, the only aim on my mind to get Sniper to a hospital or just any help I can find. "Sniper!" I scream. He doesn't do anything.