“We can’t.”

“We have to try!”

“We can’t!” He snapped.

“I don’t want to lose you. You’re the only person who’s been in my corner,” she pleaded.

“I’m sorry. This is how it has to be. I can’t see him hurting as much as he is. He just lost his best friend and he’s trying to remove me from his family tree for what we did all together. I can’t add more fuel to that damn fire. He’ll hate me.”

Tabitha took a few seconds to think about what he said and knew that he was right. What they did was selfish to the point of no return. She got it. She didn’t have to like it but she understood.

“Alright. I’ll respect your decision. Just do me a favor and don’t start acting all strange on me again.” She reached out and ran her fingers through his dark locks.

“Strange?” He looked offended for a bit. She nodded her head and sent him a smile that he quickly returned. “If you say so.”

Reaching out, she cupped the side of his face a hand. “You know, I came back here thinking and hoping that Jason would want me back but I was wrong about it all. I thought that we could pick up where we’d left off but that’s impossible when the one I really wanted and needed was right by my side, even in spirit.” A fat tear slid down her cheeks and she hardly bothered to wipe it. “You’re a jackass Drake Mills, you really are, but I still find myself falling for you.”

Drake gripped the hand that was on his face and kissed her palm. He looked into her eyes and smirked. “Of course you are. I’d be more surprised if you wasn’t tripping over yourself because of me.”

Tabitha rolled her eyes. “Way to ruin the damn moment I was trying to have.”

He chuckled as he slid his thumb across her cheeks where the tear had fallen. “I’m sorry,” he muttered as he closed the space between them and brushed his lips against hers.

“It’s a wonder Jason haven’t tried to kill us yet. You’re cocky as hell and I can’t keep my mouth shut. Two very irritating qualities.”

“I’m not cocky and you’re just outspoken, though I hope you learn to control that fast because I think his new girlfriend suddenly has beef with you.”

Tabitha frowned. “I guess I shouldn’t have said what I said but Jason cornered me and you chose that moment to go mute. I had to try to get the attention off of me.”

“It didn’t work Einstein,” Drake stated and flicked her forehead with his fingers.

“Ouch,” she yelped and quickly retaliated by smacking him behind the head. “And yes, thank you for stating the obvious, smart ass.”

Drake grabbed both her hands in order to keep them from flying to the back of his head again and sent her a playful glare which turned into a heartwarming smile. “Go get some rest Tabs.”

“Yeah, I guess this is good-bye,” she muttered softly as a melancholy feeling settled into her heart. Her smile faded away as she stared into his green eyes.

“It’s not a good-bye,” he replied as he dropped her hands and looked away from hers eyes that screamed at him to reconsider. “We’ll see each other almost every day if you plan on staying in the crew.”

“If that’s how you’re looking at it then you’re right. Just promise me one thing Mills-”

“Drake,” he corrected.

“Right. Just promise me one thing Drake.”

“What’s that?”

“Don’t give me a reason to go into my boots and pull out my M-9. Keep the desperate whores to a minimum please,” Tabitha stated.