Chapter Twenty |

October 1976

October 1976

 Midnight stood in the middle of a field, the air as cold as the dead bodies lying on the ground. At least she assumed so; she could not feel the air. She could not feel anything, though her uneven breath came out as thick fog before her eyes and she was wearing a winter coat. Despite the screams of the many people around her and the verbal spells being cast, there was silence, deafening silence. Someone stood behind her, their back flush against her own, with Remus standing to their right. Each had their wands pointed at black cloaked figures, blinding light emitting from the cluster they had formed. It felt like they existed for this moment. To fight for their lives alongside one another and protect each other at all costs. The person behind her defeated the figure they had been dueling and stepped into view. Sirius turned to Midnight, his dark hair sweeping over cloudy gray eyes full of worry. He spoke to her, his lips moving, but the words lost on the sound of ruin around them. Hesitantly, he reached out to her, but the touch of his fingertips never came.

 Gales of laughter and shrieks of fright could be heard as Hogwarts ghosts' uttered tales of horror. A looming fog obscured the view of the starry night sky. Jack-o-lanterns glinted above heads and bats flitted in the biting breeze. It was the week of All Hallows Eve and the Great Hall was filled with the chilling sounds and sweet scents of the harvest season. However, not even the loud festive nature of the Great Hall could drown out Midnight's thoughts of the reoccurring dream she had been having for four successive nights.

 Sage had woken Mid from her slumber each night, saying that she had been yelling and thrashing about in her bed. Mid's actions and her apparent nightmare had begun to scare her dorm mates. Even Emma, who was a very heavy sleeper, had been startled awake. Only it was not a nightmare. After her racing heartbeat slowed and the pain in her neck subsided from jolting awake abruptly, Midnight had asked Sage what it was that she had been yelling. She had always been curious as to whether she said anything of value in her sleep. Her words had reputedly been the same over and over.

 "I can't hear you."

 Midnight mumbled, staring at nothing in particular as she scooped mashed potatoes on the golden plate in front of her. The girl was lost in thought and trying to refrain from glancing at Sirius Black, the boy who suddenly plagued her dreams. She had been caught staring at him more times than she was willing to admit and she did not wish to embarrass herself further. The way she was doing at that moment, shaking her head and mumbling, continuing to pile mashed potatoes high on her plate. Regulus sat next to her watching with amusement dancing in his eyes, attempting not to laugh at his friend. It was when the white substance began to overflow from the plate to the wooden table that Reg's nose scrunched in disgust.

 "I don't think you have nearly enough potatoes on your plate."

 Regulus' smooth sarcasm drew Midnight out of her reverie. She turned to her best friend, but heeding his raised brows, followed his gaze to the table. Mid's blue eyes widened at the mess that she had made. Lightly patting her hand, Reg took the serving spoon away from her, as though she was going to use it as a weapon against him. Midnight gave a distressed sigh and placed a spoonful of potatoes into her mouth, causing Reg to chuckle. The boy grabbed a boat of gravy and poured it over the mountain of potatoes. Dipping his own spoon onto Midnight's plate, he helped consume them, as was customary in their friendship to steal one another's food.