Part 52

Since the trial, James' demeanor changed completely.

Seeing Maggie reminded him of just how much he wanted to live a free life. He knew he couldn't be with her, but that didn't change the fact that he at least wanted to be breathing the same air as her. Looking out at the same moon and stars every night. The closer he could get the better.

She had been so strong giving her testimony. Such a good girl, he thought to himself. It was all that was replaying in his mind the entire time. Such a good girl. Such a good girl. Keeping his expression cold, so she couldn't see how much she was impacting him. Although he couldn't be with her, he felt that she was still his in some fucked up way.

Thing was, all of that flew out the window when she flashed him that formidable scowl on her way out of the courtroom. She wasn't his anymore and he was instantly reminded of that. She was independent. Maybe even better off without him.

James had lost his bravado since being sentenced to serve ninety days. Sure, it was better than the ten years he could've been facing, but it wasn't exactly ideal.

Seventy-four more days to spend in that godforsaken island of concrete and pain. It had been just over two weeks. He had been counting. Carving tally marks in his cell with a piece of discarded rubble from when he ripped his bunk off of the wall.

They gave him absolutely nothing to fill the hours upon hours sitting in deafening silence. Thoughts of Maggie consumed him. Wishing more than anything that he could be there to protect her. Spiraling when he thought about what other men could be doing to her at the moment. He had punched the concrete wall of his cell so many times, leaving his knuckles constantly covered in bloody cuts. Bones nearly peeking out. Realizing he'd desperately need his tattoos touched up once he was out.

Most inmates got books or craft supplies to keep themselves occupied while in their cells, but not James. The only solace he got from his cell was his time in the yard.

He stood in the blocked off section with the most unstable, violent criminals. Surrounded by chainlink fencing, away from the other prisoners. Each of them with shackles around their wrists and ankles. Some of them with mouth masks if they were biters.

James was leaning back on the fence, breaths turning to silvery puffs in the bitter air, staring blank faced at nothing in particular. Focusing on the fresh feeling of the winter air filling his lungs. Fucking sick of the stale, recycled air of the facility.

Trying to block out the demented chatter of the lunatics surrounding him. The few times he listened in, it felt like an acid trip, the way they would jump from topic to topic. Prattling on about their hallucinations or the government or their violent acts. Muttering children's rhymes. Never making a speck of sense.

He knew he didn't belong in there. He wasn't crazy— at least, not like they were.

Ice blue eyes shifting out to scan the yard. The other inmates were wandering around, playing basketball, or a game of cards at the tables. Everyone was bundled up in the pedestrian coats they were provided. Too thin to block out the frosty wind, but better than nothing. With winter stubbornly taking its time fading away, the snow had melted away on the concrete, but stayed put on the grass surrounding the yard.

Scanning stopped short when James saw Rumlow. He was pacing back and forth by himself, head tucked into the popped collar of his coat. It was apparent he had something on his mind.

James rested his head up against the frozen metal of the fence, like he was trying to read his mind. Thinking if he was able to get close enough, he could hear his thoughts.

"Get the fuck back, inmates." A CO shouted, kicking the fence, making James step back with a glower.

The two officers were lugging a new prisoner into the enclosed area, wearing the same shackles as everyone else inside. He looked young. No older than twenty-two. His hair was wildly unbrushed. Unruly black curls matted together. He was average build, but his features were sunken in. Skin shockingly pale. It was blatantly clear he had quite the experience with drugs of some kind.