Part 47

Maggie's eyes cracked open, squinting at the bright white light looming above her.

A piercing headache pounded at her temples, spreading down her entire body. Every part of her ached. Concentrated to an excruciating level at her shoulder.

The room was sterile. All white and light grays. Neutral toned. She was lying on a hospital bed. Starchy sheets tucked over her and the ill-fitting gown. Wires and IV's were attached to every part of her. She yanked the oxygen tube from her nostrils, cringing at the dry crusted feeling of her nose.

There were a few bouquets of colorful flowers sitting perched on the bedside table, wafting over a slight fresh, floral scent. Cards were stacked beside them, swirls of ink, marking them as hers.

Racking her brain trying to remember how she got there, memories slowly started to fill her mind, recalling the events that took place at the warehouse. Her breathing started to pick up. Nearly hyperventilating when she remembered what happened. Her heart monitor started to beep, alerting the room.

"Hey, hey, Mags." Natasha rushed over from the couch on the corner, startling her. Maggie's head jolted back. She didn't even realize she was in there with her. "You're okay. Everything is okay."

Maggie's eyes flicked between Natasha's, giving her a hysteric appearance. "Where's James? Is he okay?"

Natasha sat down on the edge of the bed, shifting to face her with a solemn expression. "He's—" she paused, wincing slightly "he's in jail."

"W—what?" Uncontrollable sobs burst from her chapped, cut lips. Dry skin splitting from the wide frown she wore. "He didn't do anything wrong. He was protecting me."

Natasha took a breath, giving her a look of absolute sympathy and concern. "I know that, but he still assaulted two men with a firearm. There's going to be a trial and we'll go from there. For now though, he's in custody and probably will be for at least a month."

"Can't he get out on bail?"

She shook her head. "They denied it. Convicted murderers don't get the same treatment as most people. He's not going to get off that easy."

"I— I need to go see him. I need to figure this out."

"Hold your horses, Mags." She held up her hand. "You were pretty damn beaten up, so you're not going anywhere for a while. Steve is handling it right now. He was here with me earlier, but he left for the office to start working on the case with James' lawyer."

A slight sense of relief washed over her as she settled back down. "Okay." She sighed, wiping over her damp cheeks. Sitting quiet for a moment. "I'm guessing they took care of my bullet wound?" She asked nodding down to her wrapped shoulder.

Natasha huffed a laugh. "Yeah and then some... A laceration on your cheek, a couple cracked ribs, and a dislocated jaw. Also, however you were shot was pretty nasty, because they had to give you a blood transfusion."

Maggie's eyes widened, shuddering at the thought of what had happened. "How long was I asleep?"

Natasha looked at her phone, checking the time. "About fourteen hours, give or take" She set it back down beside herself, looking over Maggie. Her jaw had a deep purple bruise, slightly swollen. The color hemmed the cut on her cheek. Sliced skin being held together by light butterfly stitches. "Well, are you hungry or anything? I can have a nurse bring by some food."

"Not really." Maggie replied weakly.

"You should eat something." Natasha said, disregarding her hesitance and promptly stepping out into the hall to track down a nurse.