Part 26

Jimin POV
"Eommoni, why are you being so nice to him? You do know that he's Kim Taehyung, right? The guy who tried to use Y/n to avenge his sister?" I ask when we're alone in the kitchen.
"I do." She answers without stopping chopping the vegetables.
"Then why?"
"Because I can see that he is hurting too. What happened between them was a huge misunderstanding. The only one who is to blame in this whole ordeal is Kang Jihwan. He's the one who caused all this mess." She puts down her knife & turns to me.
"But eommoni-" I begin to protest.
"Jimin ah, I understand where you're coming from. You're worried about Y/n & want to protect her. I'm very thankful for that, but maybe you should try looking at it from his perspective." She cups my cheek & smiles before continuing what she was doing before.
Looking from his perspective? No matter how I see it, he was wrong to play with her feelings. He even tried to physically harm her! No, I can't trust him.

8:47 PM.
It's only been about nine hours since Taehyung reentered Y/n's life & I already can't wait for him to leave.
Displeasure & worry rise within me as I watch him laughing heartily with eommoni & Y/n from afar, the shadow of the bonfire dancing on their faces.
He's not going to harm her again, is he?
"Jimin ssi? Uhm.. may I sit here?" Taehee appears all of a sudden & points at the empty space beside me.
"Yeah, sure." I awkwardly reply.
"Thank you." She readily plops down on the sand.
Silence stretches between us. I squirm uncomfortably, not knowing what to say or do. She is a complete stranger whom I know too much of, which makes the situation even more awkward.
"I haven't properly expressed my gratitude to you for helping me escape from the hospital & also for getting Tae out of jail, so I just want to take this opportunity & thank you." She nods at me & says.
"You don't have to." I gulp, feeling ashamed. Yes, I did help them, but not because I sympathized with them. I did it to free Y/n & myself.
"Well, if it wasn't for you, I would probably still be confined in the hospital right now & Tae would probably still get beaten in jail. So of course I have to thank you." She smiles at me.
"Well, if you insist. You're welcome." I rub the tip of my nose & avert my gaze.
We quietly watch the dark waves rolling against each other, letting their reverberating sound fill the empty space in between us.
"Are you guys leaving tomorrow?" I ask.
"Yes, early morning tomorrow because we have to attend trial on Monday."
"Do you hate me for making you go through this?" A shot of guilt hits me right in the chest.
"No. I'm doing this for myself & my baby. You & Taehyung only gave me the last push. Anw, I better head back since we need to wake up early tomorrow." She abruptly stands up.
"Oh, ok. Good night & safe trip tomorrow." I mutter.
"Good night & thank you once again." She nods & smiles at me before walking towards Taehyung.
Huh.. Why do I feel bad? Arghh 몰라 (molla=I don't know)!

The following morning, Taehyung POV
The dawn has barely broken. The sun is still buried under the velvety purple sky.
I look out the window & let out a long breath.
Time to go back to reality.
"Do we have everything? Have you checked the bathroom?" Taehee's voice echoes through the room.
"Yes, I think we've got everything. Let's go, we need to catch the earliest ferry." I haul our bags & step out of the room.
The air is chilly & smells of fresh morning dew. The road is very quiet since no one is out yet, except a few fishermen on their fishing boats.
"Huh.. I'll definitely miss the peace & quietude." Taehee sighs.
"Me too." I concur as my mind wanders to Y/n.
I'm going to miss her. We didn't even get to properly say goodbye last night. Oh well, at least I know now that she's happy &, more importantly, alive.
"Tae, look!" Taehee taps my arm when we almost reach the pier.
"What?"
"Is that Y/n?" She points at the direction of the pier.
I focus my gaze & my heart dances in delight when I find that it is indeed Y/n.
"It's her." I pick up my pace enthusiastically.
"Oh, Jimin is there too." She adds.
My balloon of hope is instantly deflated at the mention of his name.
We reach the pier in no time & are met by Y/n & Jimin. She looks breathtakingly beautiful in her yellow checkered shirt & jeans, her hair tied up into a short ponytail, her skin glowing even in the dim lighting. A small smile is painted on her lips when she sees us coming. I wish I could take a picture of her right this moment so that I can take a part of her back home with me.
"Morning. What are you doing here?" I force a smile & greet them.
"Morning. We're here to send you off." Y/n says & turns to Jimin.
Jealousy lurks its ugly head out again & I quickly squash it.
"Yes. Eommoni asked us to give you this btw. It's her 간장게장 (marinated crab). She said that you really liked it so she made some for you." Jimin hands the bag to Taehee.
"Thank you very much. Please extend my gratitude to her." Taehee nods at him.
"Well, I guess this is goodbye then." I say to Y/n, our eyes locking with each other's.
"Good luck with the trials." She mutters.
"Thanks" is the only word I manage to say without breaking apart.
I love you. Come with me. Be with me. Please don't leave me again.
I have so many things to say to her, but I know I shouldn't & I won't.
"Y/n ssi, thank you for the hospitality." Taehee slightly bows at Y/n & addresses her.
"A-Ah, it was my pleasure." Y/n awkwardly returns her bow.
The scene is so tragically comical that I can't help but scoff inwardly. God surely played a huge joke on us, entangling our lives in the most unbelievably disastrous way possible.
"It's time to board!" The captain calls out to us.
"네 (ne=yes)! Well, take care then." I reluctantly step away.
"Wait!" Y/n exclaims all of a sudden, rushes towards Taehee & hugs her.
"I know whatever I say will never lessen your pain, but I'm sorry. I'm sorry for what he did to you. I hope you'll stay strong & keep fighting." She says to Taehee.
"T-Thank you. I will." Taehee sniffs & brushes away the tears in her eyes.
I smile bittersweetly watching them from the sideline, but then Y/n turns to me & pulls me into an unexpected hug.
She doesn't say anything, only wrapping her arms around me in silence. I promised myself that I would not cry anymore, but fresh tears inadvertently brim in my eyes.
"Are you guys coming or not?" The captain yells again, prompting Y/n to release me abruptly.
"G-Good bye. Have a safe trip." Y/n mutters without looking at me.
"Thanks. Good bye." This time it's for real.
We get on the ferry & wave at them from the deck.
I can see Jimin stroking her head, consoling her, & how I wish it was me who's doing that. Not able to watch them any longer, I quickly back away from the railings & take a seat.
Good bye Y/n ah. Please be happy. I think to myself as I look up at the breaking dawn & let the breeze dry the tears in my eyes.

Monday afternoon, courthouse
The trial has been going on for three hours now & it's not looking good for us.
Kang sajang's lawyer has called so many witnesses forward to testify about how kind & charitable he is, how he is incapable of doing anything harmful to another human being, including the director of the hospital Taehee was confined in.
The expressions on the jury's faces indicate that they believe the witnesses' testimony & they start to look at my sister in disdain. My heart breaks seeing her struggling to keep her frail back straight & chin up, pretending that none of their judgmental stare affects her.
"Recess for an hour." The judge dismisses the court after the last witness is done testifying.
I immediately rush to Taehee, who's talking to her lawyer.
"Don't be discouraged." He nods before leaving us alone.
"Are you hungry? Let's grab something to eat." I plaster a smile on my lips & guide her out of the hall.
"We're losing, aren't we? Nobody believes me." She sighs heavily.
"No! Don't say that. I believe we still have a chance. I'm sure people will see through his lies."
"I don't think so." She dejectedly mutters.
"Well well well, feeling defeated already? I thought you were going to put up a more ferocious fight. I guess I overestimated you." Kang sajang steps in front of us & smirks.
"You-" I clench my fists, resisting the strong urge to punch him in the face.
"Ignore him Tae. Let's just go." Taehee grabs my arm & pulls me away.
"Not so fast. Why don't you drop the charges now before you humiliate yourself even more? I'm saying this because I'm being generous. I don't want you to exhaust all resources you have just to pointlessly fight me." He snatches her wrist & spins her around to face him.
"Don't touch her!" I exclaim in fury & shove his hand away.
"Shut up Kim Taehyung. You better be grateful that I don't sue you for murdering my daughter." He hisses at me.
"He didn't kill me. You did." A voice coming from behind startles us all.
Kang sajang slowly turns his face around & gasps in shock, his face turning as pale as a sheet of paper.
"Annyeong hashimnikka Abeonim. Long time no see." Y/n bows at him.