They touched down on a roof just within the town walls and Hanako put her nose to the air, looking for Naruto's scent. She jerked her head.

"This way."

He followed her lead, gut roiling with anticipation. And worry.

If that man found Naruto before they did, would the dobe survive the encounter? Sure, he had that secret power everyone except Sasuke seemed to know about, but it seemed to be a last resort sort of thing, showing itself only in the most dire of circumstances. What if it didn't register that man as a threat until it was too late? What if the Sharingan took hold before he could call on it? What if—?

Hanako reached out with her arm and stopped him in his tracks. "We're here." She pointed at a window. "Naruto's in there. We should grab him and go before he shows up. Jiraiya-sama is probably nearby, so we can go to him for help."

Wait. "What about him? We're not—we can't just leave him alone!"

The deadpan expression she gave him was so reminiscent of Kakashi he almost saw double.

"You're right, Sasuke," she drawled. "What was I thinking? Of course, we—a pair of genin with three hands between us—should take on an A Rank missing nin. That's going to end so well for us, I can tell."

Sasuke bristled at her tone. "If you weren't going to fight him then why did you come?"

"Are you insane?" Her expression made it clear she certainly thought he was. "I came to help you save Naruto! Isn't that why you're here?"

Partially. He was concerned, sure, but who knew when his next chance to kill that man would come? He had to seize the opportunity while it lasted.

Hanako gestured wildly with her left arm, clearly forgetting it had no hand. "I don't have time to argue with you, right now, so go die on your brother's sword if you're really that desperate. Naruto has no idea what's coming for him."

She leapt down and landed on the windowsill, leaving Sasuke to scramble in after her.

"Eh? Hana-chan? And teme?! What are you doing here?"

Seeing the dobe's face released a tension Sasuke hadn't realized he was carrying. He was fine. Still stupid, still smiling, still alive. Fine. Sasuke let himself breathe a little easier, knowing that.

Hanako didn't waste any time, placing a hand on Naruto's shoulder.

"Naruto, I need you to summon a toad. There are people after you and Jiraiya-sama needs to know.'

"Eh? How do you know about the toads, Hana-chan? I never told you I could summon them!"

Indeed. Hanako had known about Gaara's terrifying transformation, even though he'd been ordered not to tell her. Another thing to ask about once that man was dealt with.

"Do as she says, dobe," he demanded, scowling reflexively as the blond aimed a sour look his way. "We don't have time for questions."

Naruto grumbled but obeyed, summoning a small orange toad in a sleeveless blue haori.

"Ha? What'd'ya summon me for, brat?"

Naruto waved at Hanako. "Hana-chan told me to!"

"Itachi Uchiha and Kisame Hoshigaki are after Naruto," she said quickly, words running together. "We are evacuating him for his own safety. Please tell Jiraiya-sama."

The scowling amphibian eyes her arm openly. "Are you sure you should be out and about, chibi? That looks serious."

"Go!"