Today's Champions, Tomorrow's Dead

Start from the beginning

Still awestruck, Dumbledore looked exasperated as another name flew from the Goblet. I sucked in a breath and felt I already knew what was coming.

"Nerezza Lupin-Black" Dumbledore said a little quieter, "Nerezza Lupin-Black!" He shouted angrily.

I watched as Fred shuffled so he was hiding Nerezza behind his back. We locked eyes and had a mutual bond of 'no one will hurt her, she will not compete'. I watched as Cedric speed walked to Nerezza, he gave her a comforting hug before leading her with his hand in hers to the Champions stage.

Nerezza begged me silently with her eyes to save her from this. My fatherly instincts kicked in and I attempted to go to Albus, I was stopped by Alastor who held me back with his cane.

The Champions were then lead into a room. Severus, Myself, Alastor, Bartimus Madame Maxim and Igor followed Albus into the room; Albus thundered towards Harry and Nerezza. Cedric pulled Nerezza away from Dumbledore's path as he questioned Harry about putting his name in the Goblet.

I moved immediately to Nerezza's side and held her firmly behind me.

"Well of course they are lying!" Madame Maxim huffed, her french accent standing out in her anger.

"Harry and Nerezza would not have deceived you in such a way!" I Fumed defensively.

"The hell they are lying. The goblet of fire is an exceptionally powerful magical object, only an exceptionally powerful conjurer could have hoodwinked it. Magic way beyond the talents of a couple of fourth years!" Alastor denied Madame as of it were obvious.

"Not impossible! Very little is known about Kenesis Witches..." Madame Maxim eyed Nerezza as if she were dirt.

"Scrutinising Nerezza based off her Witch type is like judging a wizards capability based off their blood heritage!" I snapped back at her.

"Nerezza and Harry wouldn't of done this Professor" Cedric spoke up to Albus, who narrowed his eyes at him.

"You seem to have given this a fair bit of thought Mad-Eye" Igor challenged Alastor.

"It was once my job to think as dark wizards do Karkaroff perhaps you remember?" Alastor retorted.

"That doesn't help Alastor. Leave this to you Barty." Dumbledore said.

"The rules are absolute, the goblet of fire constitutes a binding magical contract. Mr Potter and Miss Lupin-Black have no choice, they are, as of tonight... a tri-wizards champions" Barty divulged.

Nerezza clung to Cedric and Harry as they processed their new titles...

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

"This can't go on Albus. First the dark mark, now this?" Minerva threw her hands in the air as if she couldn't believe this was even taking place.

"What do you suggest Minerva?" Albus sighed.

"Put an end to it. Don't let Potter or Lupin compete" she offered simply.

"Nerezza will not be competing" I stated, "Albus you've been a good friend but I can't allow my daughter to-" I began to speak but Severus cut me off.

"Not...your daughter, is she Remus?" Severus cocked an eyebrow at me.

"How dare you" I scorned.

"Enough Remus, you heard Barty the rules are clear." Albus defined.

"Well the devil with Barty and his rules. And since when did you accomodate them?" Minerva said shrilly, she glanced helplessly at me as I ran my fingers through my hair in distress.

"Master I too find it difficult to believe this mere coincidence, if we are to truly discover the meaning of these events perhaps we should for the time being...let them unfold." Severus suggested unbothered.

"That's your conclusion because you have no one you love competing Severus" I scoffed.

"Miss Black may be of powerful use if given the chance to-show us what powers her abilities actually possess" Severus put forward.

I felt a raging instinct to tear Severus to pieces. He was speaking of my family as if they were dangerous, uttering Sirius's last name like it was poison.

"Nerezza is not a weapon!" I barked.

"So we just, do nothing?? Offer them up as bait? Potter is a boy not a piece of meat! Miss Lupin-Black is not for your use!" Minerva agreed with me.

"I agree with Severus. Alastor, keep an eye on Harry will you? Severus, you keep watch on Nerezza" Dumbledore ordered as he leant forward.

"I can do that." Alastor agreed.

"What a joy" Severus replied sarcastically.

I inhaled deeply to stop myself from charging at him.

"Don't let them know though, they must be anxious enough as it is...knowing what lies ahead. Then again, we all are."

When I returned to my classroom, I began frantically scrawling a letter to Sirius, sending it with the hopes he wouldn't storm Hogwarts and attempt to actually murder someone. A knock on the door sounded and before I could even answer it, Nerezza stumbled in.

I hugged her tightly like if I could squeeze tight enough, she'd be safe forever.

"I can't do this!" She inhaled.

I gripped her shoulders and knelt down.

"Yes. Yes but you must Darling, you cannot think yourself into defeat. You have been chosen albeit unfair and unjust but you must adapt. You are strong, stronger than us all" I told her with conviction.

"I love you" she said ghostly.