Chapter 15

It was a fierce battle. Fierce, dangerous, and bloody. But they won. Akutagawa and Atsushi had managed to win and defeat Francis, restoring peace in Yokohama once more. Despite their differences, they had grown some sort of...respect...for one another. As Atsushi hugged Kyouka tightly on the port, Akutagawa found himself standing still in front of Dazai and Fukuzawa, who praised him, and he was fuming with anger.

Dammit...he always takes the credit from me...

"Well done Atsushi-kun! You helped protect this city,"

"Y-yeah, well...I was just doing my best...!"

What about me?

"But you should be proud of yourself. You were the one who defeated Francis,"

What about me?

"W-well..."

But what about me...?

"Akutagawa saved me back up there too though,"

"Huh?"

Akutagawa found himself staring widely at Atsushi and Dazai, who had just looked at him for the first time in years.

"Oh, Akutagawa did, hm?" Dazai pondered out loud.

"We both worked together to defeat Francis. If he hadn't saved me with Rashomon, I would've fallen to my death..." Atsushi replied, trying not to glance at Akutagawa. He didn't look menacing as usual, and it made him nervous.

"I see. Well done Akutagawa. You've gotten stronger," Dazai walked over and gave Akutagawa a pat on the back. He slowly turned around and began to walk away, accompanied by Fukuzawa and Kyouka.

Atsushi and Akutagawa now stood alone on the port, looking at one another. The silence was extremely awkward and Atsushi was tempted to walk away to avoid pissing him off until Akutagawa spoke up.

"Why...did you do that..?"

Atsushi looked over at him and noticed how confused he truly was.

"U-um...I guess I felt it was the right thing to do..."

"And why's that?"

Atsushi began to get nervous. He knew why he had done that. Akutagawa was not the man who he once appeared to be...rather, he was just another neglected child who desperately needed attention and care. Atsushi had seen it in his eyes when they were on the elevator together...that sadness, confusion, frustration...it was a mix of emotions that Akutagawa was trying to hide...

"Y-you wanted Dazai-san to praise you r-right...?"

Akutagawa looked at him with slightly angry eyes, but didn't say anything. Atsushi gulped.

"S-so...I thought that he should know that you helped-"

"That's foolish,"

"H-huh?"

"I don't need Dazai-san's praise. I'm strong..."

That's right...I'm strong. Stronger than you.

"..I-I see..."

I don't need any praise...I don't. I'm strong. Right...?

Atsushi began to walk away slowly, slightly discouraged.

Strong. Strong. Strong.

"W-well then...goodbye, Akutagawa,"

Akutagawa's eyes widened.

No. Don't leave. I don't want to be alone.

No. I'm strong.

Y-yes...I'm strong.

Akutagawa felt his lips quivering until he heard a second voice inside him.

You liar.

And that's when he reached out his hand.

***

"Wait,"

Atsushi felt his heart stop when he felt a hand grab his shoulder. Slightly terrified, he turned around to face Akutagawa, who looked down.

"....do you treat everyone like this...?"

His eyes widened.

"Akutagawa..."

Akutagawa looked at him, his eyes almost pleading for an answer.

"Well...I believe there's some good in everyone...nobody deserves to be shunned or separated because they're different,"

Akutagawa quickly changed his expression to a menacing one, as if he were testing Atsushi.

"Would you say the same for me?"

Atsushi stared at him in silence.

Is this...a cry for help...? Is Akutagawa really asking this? What if he just...wants a friend? Someone to talk to...?

"S-sure..."

Akutagawa looked almost guilty for a second, as if he regretted asking. Without warning, Atsushi suddenly reached his hand out.

"You're a strong fighter, Akutagawa. I respect that,"

Holy crap...he's going to murder me...

Atsushi looked at Akutagawa nervously, and all of a sudden...he heard a chuckle. And ever so softly, ever so sweetly, Akutagawa looked at him and smiled, taking his hand and shaking it.

"Thank you, Jinko,"