Chapter 12 - Summer

Start from the beginning

I fumbled on my words "H-hey Stiles".

A goofy smile formed on his face as he pulled me in to a hug, something I didn't expect. "Hey Em". Em... he had never called me that before, I wanted to hear him say it again. It rolled of his tongue with ease and it sent shivers down my spine. How can something so little have so much of an affect on me. "I've missed you". He missed me... Stiles missed me.

I hugged him back, pulling him closer to me. "Missed you too Stilinski". He gave me a nickname it's only fair I gave him one back. We broke the hug and moved into the living room. Three boxes of pizza were stacked on top of each other on the table. My dad and Sheriff Stilinski had a beer while Stiles and I had root beer, even though we did joke about stealing some of our dad's beer and pretending it was our root beer we almost did it to but my dad almost caught us. We all sat on the sofas in the living room and the T.V was turned on to a game of the Mets. I've never watched a baseball game before but I've got to say I'm was enjoying it. It was more interesting than I expected. Stiles was in a trance like state, watching the game on the T.V. I was enjoying myself but if I had one critique it would be their uniforms: orange and blue does not go at all. My dad hadn't watched much baseball but he was getting into it and learned the rules of the game quickly and soon he was cheering the team on along with the Stilinskis. I stuff some pepperoni pizza into my mouth as the Mets are about to make a home run. Everyone around me started shouting at the T.V, at the Mets player to run faster. Someone got a bit too excited as the player made the home run and threw their arms up in the air, hitting my arm as I put a slice of pizza in my mouth. The pizza missed my mouth and instead hit my face, leaving grease all over my face. 

"Sorry Ems", Stiles said grabbing a napkin and wiping my face. Our dads began to laugh at my face with pizza grease all over it, but who can blame them even I found it funny. I laughed along with everyone, however the feeling of grease on my face wasn't comfortable so I excused myself and went upstairs to  bathroom to wash my face. I hadn't gone to the bathroom before in the Stilinski household but normally neighbouring houses have similar layouts. It wasn't long until I found the bathroom, it didn't look as I expected. It had a feminine touch to it, the family pictures were delicately placed on the wall. There was a lot of drawers, they appeared to be used but there was nothing inside. Stiles had a mum right? She must've decorated this room, it's beautiful. I leant over the sink and ran the cold tap, I splashed the water on my face a few times. Then I grabbed the warm towel on the railing and dabbed my face dry.

*knock* *knock* "Emily?" Stiles said, knocking on the door. "Can I come in?"

"Sure" I turned the door knob to release the latch and let him in. He sheepishly came into the bathroom, he rubbed the back of his neck as he leant against the door after he had closed it.

"Sorry about the pizza".

"Don't be, it was a mistake besides it was funny", I giggled as I neatly put the towel back on the railing.

"How have you been?" He asked, his tone becoming softer.

"I've been good, what about you? What's it been like here?" I leant my side against the wall.

"Um before you left, you were a bit distant and with everything going on, I didn't get a chance to talk to you properly. I was wondering if you wanted to go for a drive after this and talk?" He's right we didn't get a chance to talk and it's something I want to do.

"Yes, I would love that".

He nodded his head and opened the door, allowing me to walk out first. I thanked him as I walked past him and went downstairs.

We finished the pizza and watched the rest of the baseball game. It was getting late so my dad called it a night and it wasn't long before Sheriff Stilinski did the same. Once he was upstairs, stiles and I got our shoes on and quietly left the house.

We got into Stiles' jeep not knowing where we were going. Stiles just drove about as we talked about our summer. I told him everything I did back home, like going to beaches and theme parks and even spending some time abroad in Spain which he could tell as my nose was still rosy from where it was sunburnt. He spent his summer practicing lacrosse with Scott and getting involved in his dads cases, none of which have been as exciting as recent events he says. I couldn't keep my eyes off him over the summer he had gained some sort of maturity or maybe it's the hair growth, whatever it is I'm liking it. I had strangely missed the eerie atmosphere of Beacon Hills, it was like something out of a horror movie yet it was comforting. His jeep hasn't changed, it was still old, full of dents and patched up with duct tape. He mentioned that he was going to get it fixed but hadn't found the time yet. I didn't mind though it gave the car character, each dent, scratch or mark told a different story... mostly that stiles was bad at driving but a story nonetheless. Stiles went into a quiet car park opposite a supermarket and parked the furthest away from it. There seemed to be a lot on his mind but nothing he would share with me. My thumb found it's way onto my lips, I clenched my teeth in my nail and began biting it. "So I guess I have a lot of explaining to do", I spoke to fill the silence.

"As long as you're ready to talk about it", he said unbuckling his seat belt and placing his body towards me.

I did the same and unbuckled my belt, I rested my body against the car door as I faced Stiles and lifted my feet up on the seat. "I think I am". He smiled softly at me which was reassuring to me. "Okay well, for you to understand why I've been distant then I'm going to need to talk about my old life in England". He nodded understandingly. "It all started in my old school..."