Spencer meets his eyes before looking away, confusion lacing his features. He exhales slowly, moving back around to the table. He sits on the chair, crossing his legs.

"What's your relationship with Julie?"

Adam gets up, shaking his head, pacing around to behind the chain-link wall. "We've been friends since I was just a kid."

"Are you lovers?" Spencer asks, tilting his head.

Adam scoffs. "No."

"Well, then why does she pay for everything you have?"

"It's not like it's a handout," Adam says, pushing his fingers through some of the holes in the chain-link. "I mean...I'm working at the hotel so I can pay her back."

"Does she pay for the drugs, also?"

Adam meets his eyes. "I—I told you, I get migraines."

"So...take a prescription."

Adam walks slowly to the end of the wall, resting his cheek on the metal. "I thought you were different."

"What does that mean?" Spencer asks.

Adam's quiet, not answering him, choosing instead to glance at the floor. Spencer's silent for another couple moments before he stands, turning around and exiting the room. He shuts the door behind him, glancing at the team.

"He's confusing," Spencer mumbles.

"We have Julie Riley in custody," Hotch says, approaching the group.

"Did she say anything?" Y/n asks, crossing her arms.

Hotch shakes his head. "No. But she's agreed to a polygraph."

•••

Spencer scrunches his brows together as he looks down at the video feed from the day Adam had pushed William Browder into the pool. He sighs, rubbing his hands over his eyes before looking at the screen again.

"Are you okay?" Y/n whispers, turning her head to look at him.

"Yeah," Spencer says, glancing at her. His lips turn up at the corners. "I just feel like there's something I'm missing."

She reaches over, rubbing her hand over his. "We'll figure it out."

He nods at her, lacing their fingers together and squeezing her hand before letting it go.

"What are you looking at?" JJ asks, walking toward him.

"I'm not sure," Spencer mumbles.

"Well, they both passed," JJ says, an exasperated sigh leaving her.

"How is that possible?" Spencer asks, glancing up at Prentiss.

"Not only that, they passed with flying colors," she states, handing him the transcript.

Morgan sighs, sitting across from Spencer. "The only spike I got on Adam was a control question regarding geometric equations, but...honestly, I think I just flustered him."

"Either way, we've got nothing," Y/n says, her eyes grazing over the transcript.

Spencer looks passed Morgan's shoulder, focusing on Adam and Julie signing their release papers. Adam looks at Spencer, a weird mix of sadness and betrayal flashing through his eyes. He looks down at his papers, but a couple seconds later, he looks back up at Spencer, a completely different expression on his face.

He makes direct eye contact with Spencer, his face calm. His lips are turned up at the corners into a weird smirk—almost like, ha, I fooled you. Spencer scrunches his brows, holding Adam's gaze. Adam plays with the pen in his hands, never breaking eye contact with Spencer. Spencer looks away, a million thoughts running through his head as he looks down at the zoomed in video feed.