━ chapter xi

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

──── ❝ chapter xi ❞ ────

❝ unique!  ❞

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

          RACHEL SENT AN ADDRESS FOR a one 213, Rotan Lane and said it was the home of her best friend, Goh Peik Lin. Apparently she was going to be dazzling Rachel up for the wedding with the help of my cousin, Oliver. Surely, with his help, Rachel would upstage just about everyone at that wedding, even the bride herself. (Though Minty might just rip a hair extension out if that were ever the case.)

          I'd heard of the Goh's before. They weren't terribly important in social status, so the only piece of gossip about them that's ever reached me is that their living room was inspired by Donald Trump's bathroom. Talk about "yikes."

          When my private driver pulled into the driveway of the Goh residence, I knew instantly that this was new money. The dead giveaways are always marble fountains and large, imposing white pillars which their house had plenty of. Still, the aqua and beige with the splashes of white decor really... brought out... um... the sky? And the um... Well, maybe it's best to not saying anything at all if you don't have anything nice to say.

          After thanking my driver and hauling the dress which was behind behind a protective layer, I bounded for the front door.

          Behind the doors, I could hear loud music and laughs and cheers. It reminded me of yesterday when we made dumplings, yet it felt more... I don't know, genuine. I started smiling before I even entered. Maybe I was just happy to be literally anywhere else than at home.

          "Hello, wel-!"

          The woman who opened the door stopped in her tracks when she saw me standing in front of her. I figured that it was because I was, well, me. This happened far more than I'd like to admit, and I enjoyed if far more than I'd like to admit, too. Perhaps it was because if my own family was never happy to see me, at least someone was.

           "D-Diana Young!"

          "Ah, hello, auntie," I stammered. "Sorry, um, Rachel said this was the address...?"

          My statement turned more into a question the more the woman stared at me with her jaw dropped. I tried to keep the bright yet awkward smile on my face, but the longer we stared each other down, the more my eyes flitted sideways in hopes she'd silently get the hint. She didn't get the hint.

          "Ma!" A raspy voice called from behind the woman.

          She had blonde hair that was cut in a bowl-style that would've gotten her bullied at my school. Still, it seemed to fit her features better than any of their's so I could give her credit for that. I couldn't quite say the same for her outfit choice, though, which consisted of a red sweater vest with rabbits stitched into it overtop a Peter Pan collared shirt and oversized, flow white pants. Still, as Joey had to often remind me, fashion is relative. What may be a GAP sweater to me could very well be a Gucci handbag to another.