Wattpad Original

Original Edition: Forty-Six

Raven sauntered over to us in a dress that ironically looked like something straight out of Hazel's closet—high ruffled neckline, cameo broach in the center of the lace paneling that covered her chest, and the high-waisted tiered skirt that ended at her ankles. The only thing that wasn't reminiscent of our great-aunt was the bland ivory of the fabric. Hazel would have said it gave one the appearance of innocence, which meant they were hiding dark sins.

I clenched Soren's arm the closer she got, and he whispered reassurances.

My cousin raked her green-eyed glare over us and spat, "You're not welcome at the Reynard, Gemma."

"And that's why we are dancing in the street," I clipped back.

"Just don't forget that if you set foot on my property, I will have you arrested."

Anger simmered inside me. I wanted to lose it and push her to her ass. It would have pleased me to embarrass her in front of all these people she worked so hard to impress. But I remained calm, taking steady breaths as I said, "I wouldn't expect anything less from you, Raven."

She sneered and turned her attention to Soren. "Mr. Hyde, I require your presence in the hotel."

He stiffened at her formal address and cleared his throat. "On this particular night, I'm not bound to the walls of the Reynard, and I'd like to keep it that way."

His words were clear to me but cryptic to someone who didn't know his past. I got the feeling that he was trying to determine just how much she knew about him and his past.

"That is understandable, but your brother finds himself in a precarious situation, and he requires your help."

I chuckled. "Archer in trouble; that sounds about right."

Raven ignored me and gave my dancing partner a bright fake smile that would give her father's a run for its money. "This should only take a moment." Looking me up and down, she added, "And don't follow him like the sad little puppy you are, Gemma. Stay out here."

I clenched my teeth and glared at her until Soren placed a finger on my jaw and turned my face up to his. "I have to make sure he is all right."

Nodding, I stood on my tiptoes and kissed his cheek, pressing my lips to his ear and whispering, "Don't stay gone long, please."

He put his hand on the back of my head and kissed my nose. "I'll be right back, I promise."

Raven beckoned to him impatiently, and with a sigh, he followed her inside.

I left the dance floor and stood by the hot chocolate cart, taking in the festivities around me. Everyone was oblivious to the true purpose of this night. What had simply become a town tradition with a scary story, was short liberation for two brothers.

I set down my mug of hot chocolate and noticed the three empty cups beside it. Had I really drunk all of those? I glanced back at the hotel, and annoyance brewed within me. I had no doubt that Raven would keep her promise and call the police if I stepped foot on the property; I couldn't waste tonight like that, but it had already been too long.

What if Archer had been in real trouble? And now Soren was in the mix?

I took a deep breath and set my resolve; I had to check on him and accept the consequences. He'd have returned to me by now if everything was on the up and up. I glanced around to make sure no one was watching me, and I disappeared into a crowd making their way to the hotel. As they entered the front door, I slid along the side of the building and slipped into one of the passages Soren had shown me.

Pulling my cell phone out of my purse, I used the flashlight to light my way. Every step deeper into the hotel set me on edge. Something didn't feel right about all of this. With trembling hands, I pressed the wall, and it swung open.