Wattpad Original

Original Edition: Twenty-Seven

Archer clasped his hands behind his back and paced the length of my room. With each lap, I knew he was refining his story, searching for all the holes to reel me back in. I shouldn't have continued to stand there, but something deep inside of me wanted him to have a valid excuse. I wanted to believe he couldn't be as selfish as he appeared.

He stopped and turned to me. "There is no excuse for what you overheard between me and Soren. I was acting like an asshole, trying to play like I didn't give a damn. But I do. And I'll admit, my profession of love was premature, I just..." He ran his hand through his hair and looked at anything but me. "I just wanted to share something as meaningful as everyone else at the table." He met my gaze again. "I do care about you, Gemma."

I felt something like pity try to creep into my stomach, but I shook it off. "I heard what I heard, Archer. If you cared about me, you wouldn't have been able to be so careless and blasé about your feelings. Why would you do that? With your own brother? It doesn't make any goddamn sense, so the only conclusion I can come to is that you were speaking the truth. The only reason you're backpedaling now is because you got caught. Something wasn't adding up, with Soren's warnings and then with that conversation, it all became crystal clear." I stepped toward him and looked him square in the eye. "You were using me. I'm not sure what for, and I don't know that I care. I just know this much. We're through. I'm done," I said, my voice steady and calm, but my heart pounding against my ribs.

"Gemma," he whispered, reaching out to me, but I backed away, putting space between us for the final time.

"I think it's time you leave."

We remained in a fierce staring contest, neither of us so much as blinking for several seconds. When he ripped his gaze from mine, he hissed, "Fuck," and stormed out of the bedroom.

Several seconds later, the front door slammed, and for the first time in weeks, I felt like I could really breathe. I ran my thumbs under my eyes before the tears gathering there could break free and inhaled until my lungs felt like they would burst. I held the cleansing breath for several beats and slowly released it. No matter how much it hurt right now, this was for the best in the long run.

When I'd gathered the courage to face my guests, I stepped out into the living room, but was shocked to see the suite empty and the table cleared off.

"Hello?" I called, looking around the room.

"In here," Soren answered from the kitchen.

My eyebrow dipped and when I walked through the door, I felt a surge of affection for the twin I'd once considered to be the ruder of the two, washing dishes at my sink.

"Wow, you didn't have to do all this," I said, hopping up on the countertop next to where he stood. "Thank you. And," I looked down at my hands and back up at him, "I'm sorry for inviting you to what has to go down in history as the worst Thanksgiving dinner party of all time."

"What you consider a terrible Thanksgiving still ranks as one of the better ones in my life."

I groaned, thinking of him and Archer sitting in that tiny shack in the woods. It must have been scary and cold out there this time of year. And then to know everyone was eating like kings and queens while they sat alone and hungry...I would take my absentee parents any Thanksgiving over that.

He finished drying the last dish and set it on the counter. "It was a nice time until the ridiculous quote."

I laughed despite myself. "Like I said, it wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't know it was a complete lie." Clearing my throat, I met his gaze. We were eye-to-eye, and I whispered, "Did you know I was there that day? That I heard that conversation?"

"Not until that look on your face when he said he loved you. But it serves the both of us right; we have done our fair share of eavesdropping."

I ran my fingers through my hair and sighed. "More importantly...what were you guys talking about? Why would it matter if I fell in love with him if he didn't care about loving me back? None of it makes sense. And please, don't tell me to read the tome. I don't feel like passing out tonight." I'd already read some of the tome earlier, passing the time at the front desk in between guests.

He leaned against the counter next to where I sat and folded his arms over his chest, watching me from the corner of his eye. "I'm going to tell you to read the tome." I opened my mouth to protest, but he raised a finger and stopped me. "This all involves Archer and me, and if I tell you what is going on, I'm bound to put my own self-serving spin on it. I don't know what all is written in that book, but Hazel did, and she wanted you to have it. My guess is that the women who owned this hotel before you had some wisdom to share about my and Archer's situation. You should hear it from them."

"Fair enough." I leaned my head back against the cabinet. "Well, can I ask you another question?"

"You can try."

"What you said at the table about being grateful for the time we have with those we love even if it's not long enough...you were talking about Hazel." When he didn't correct me, I continued, "Soren, I know it's not really my business, but I am dying to know: Were you ever in love with her?"

"No. Hazel was the first of our keepers who we truly grew up with. We were at the equivalent of human eleven-year-olds when she was born, and her mother put her to work caring for us when she was very young. She was my best friend and Archer's too. My feelings for her always remained that of a brother who loved his sister, even when..." He pushed away from the counter and ran his hand over his face. "If Hazel hasn't left you any insight to her time with us, especially me, then I will fill in the blanks. But she deserves the opportunity to tell you her story regarding us."

I hopped off the counter and took his hand in mine, turning him to face me. "Soren. Is there anything you can tell me?"

His bright blue eyes sparkled, and he smiled. "I saved us both some pumpkin pie."

"