Wattpad Original

Original Edition: Seventeen

Archer was right—Lloyd's sleeping potion was not meant to be drunk by the gallon. In the middle of the night, I found myself hugging the toilet. I was so grateful that Archer didn't wake up to witness my humiliation. I must have spent two hours in there caught between regretful tears and dozing off with my head in the seat. I woke up just before dawn, brushed my teeth, and snuck back to bed like nothing even happened.

When I woke up again, the sun was beaming through the lace curtains, scorching my retinas and aggravating my pounding head. A tinge of disappointment ran through me when I found the space beside me empty. Perhaps, it was my drunken haze last night, but I thought he would be different from the normal hit-it-and-leave-it kind of guy.

"God, I hope I brushed my teeth good enough last night and didn't stink him out of my bed," I croaked. All the directions my mind was taking were terrifying.

I shuffled my way to the bathroom to do a full dental inspection—including brushing, flossing, and gargling—and the rest of my morning routine before stepping into the living room.

To my surprise, Archer sat on the couch, his arm over the back and his feet on the coffee table as he watched the flatscreen that I temporarily placed next to the fireplace.

"Good morning, beautiful. I think there is still some coffee left in the machine if you feel up to it, and I set two aspirin next to the sink for you."

I rubbed my temples with my forefingers. I was so caught up in the notion that he left that the pounding in my head was just an annoyance until now. "Thank you...I need them." I padded to the coffeemaker and poured a cup, black—one of the only things I learned from my mother—and washed down the aspirin with a glass of water.

Hugging the mug between my cold hands, I sat down next to him on the couch, leaving a decent amount of space between us. Stumbling out of the bar, giving him a blow job, and then spending time up close and personal with my toilet, had me feeling a little self-conscious. "Thank you for the coffee," I murmured over the brim of the cup as I took a sip.

"You're welcome." He leaned over and rubbed my knee, encouraging me to scoot a little closer. "Your brother was here this morning, knocking on the door. I'm guessing he's wondering if you're planning to show up to work today."

Archer's words triggered something inside me. It would be a typical me move to get drunk and call out the next day, claiming I'd come down with a stomach bug. But I didn't want to be that person or for the staff to think I was. This was the new and improved Gemma. The woman that showed up to work on time and tended to her responsibilities.

I got to my feet and took a deep breath. "I better get down there. I know what he wants to talk about."

"What's that?"

"The budget...running this place costs far more than I could've ever imagined."

"Hazel never mentioned having financial problems. Everyone was paid well, and she kept the lights on in this place."

"Right, but she cut some corners and Hunter has found some things that need to be brought up to code. We're going to have to squeeze every penny just to get them done. Besides, getting by is not what my parents care about." I lifted my hand and rubbed my thumb against my other fingers in a circular motion. "They want this place to turn a profit. We have to figure out how to do that, or they're going to be breathing down our necks even more than they already do." I leaned down and gave him a peck on the cheek.

"That's it? We spend the night together and now I'm demoted to friendly kisses?"

Rolling my eyes, I sat facing him on his lap and put his cheeks between my palms. "I don't know; I thought you might have had enough of me already."

"I don't think that is possible." He pulled me closer and kissed me. Every time his mouth met mine, it was full of passion and longing. I couldn't help but feel like I was the sole possessor of what he wanted most, like I was irreplaceable to him.

Even though it was the last thing I wanted to do, I pulled back from him and ran my hand through his hair. "I have to go. Hunter is patient enough with me; I can't stand him up. But..." I stood and held out my hand. "I'd love to see you later. Maybe we can...explore the grounds a bit," I said as I slipped my shoes on and led him to the door.

"I'd like that."

He kissed me again, and I pressed my body to his and glided my tongue over his bottom lip before stepping away. We turned to walk out of my suite but skidded to a halt.

Soren stood in the hallway glaring at us.

I hated that look. All the judgment in his eyes and the way he clenched his jaw like he was holding back his words. Why couldn't he just leave us to make our own choices and keep his haughty attitude to himself?

He eased the passage door closed behind him and nodded at Archer. "Brother."

"Good morning, Soren. Have you had the pleasure of meeting Gemma?" Archer's question held a chipper tone, a sharp contrast to his brother's.

"You know I have." Soren's blue gaze darted to me. "I see you are still choosing to disregard my suggestion."

"Wow, you're a quick one," I snapped, holding tight to Archer's hand. "I thought I made myself clear last time that you were to stay away from me."

He shifted to the side and slid a hand in the pocket of his black jeans. "You don't see me chasing after you or trying to warm your bed. I'm minding my own business."

"It doesn't appear that the hotel's new owner likes you much, brother. How long did it take you to get under her skin, two minutes?"

"Give or take."

It irked me that he didn't even care that I disliked him. What kind of person or non-person was all right with being despised? And what was it about me that made him act like an asshole? Was he blaming me for Hazel's death and taking over the hotel? Surely he was more intelligent than that.

"Speaking to me about who I do or do not spend time with doesn't seem like minding your own business. So, why don't you just keep walking next time? And for the record, I wouldn't ask you to warm my bed if I were sleeping on a goddamn glacier."

"No worries, I couldn't get it up for a frigid woman anyway." He turned on his heels and threw his hand up, saluting the air. "Both of you should follow my advice before you fuck everything up."

I cast Archer a side glance just as he looked down at me. "What was his advice to you?" I asked.

"Soren has a tendency to lean toward theatrics. I wouldn't bother putting any credence in what he says. What did he say to you?"

"He told me to stay away from you. To stay away from both of you," I said in a low voice, barely meeting his eyes.

Archer threw his arm around me and flashed me a wide, dimpled grin. "Brooding asshole. I told you he enjoyed a good dramatic episode."

"Yeah."

Something didn't feel right about Archer's explanation. Soren was so adamant that I read the tome, and it didn't come across as overdramatic. I couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to his foul mood than either brother wanted to admit. And the more it ate away at me, the more I wanted answers. Whatever was driving Soren was more than just an attempt to stifle his brother's happiness or mine.

Both of you should follow my advice before you fuck everything up. I needed to know what exactly he believed Archer and I were in the process of fucking up.

And I knew exactly how to find out.