The cocky smile on his face gave me the answer to my question.

"What do you gain by being a pain in the neck?" I voiced.

"It's fun getting on your nerves sometimes." He laughed.

"I will pretend I didn't hear that, because I'm in a good mood today."

He walked closer to me and his eyes dilated at the sight of my painting.

My lips curved into a smile as a wave of pride washed over me. "I painted this."

"Obviously."

I ignored his subtle unpleasant remark and asked; "How is it?"

He hummed and took a moment to examine it with his eyes. "Not bad."

"Huh?" I raised a brow.

"Not bad." He repeated with a shrug.

"That's all you have to say?"

"What were you expecting to hear?" He chortled. "Honestly, this isn't that good. The sky looks like a sea." He burst into laughter. "And how comes the grasses are taller than the hut." At this point, Imran was laughing uncontrollably.

Irritated, I hurled a pencil at him, but he was quick to dodge it on time. "Get out! What you do you know about art. The grasses seem taller than the hut, because the hut is faraway. Be serious for once in your life."

"Better than you at least." He tittered. "I, for one would never draw a tree with so many branches."

Being the carefree person Imran was, I knew it might not be his intention to hurt me with his words. To him, it might be a joke, but his criticism really got to me. In just a few minutes, he had managed to destroy the confidence I earlier had in myself. "Thank you."

He must have felt bad for his remarks, because he stopped laughing, but the remorse was short-lived. "Just because you're my sister, don't expect me to call a spade a big spoon." He shrugged. "You tried, but this," he pointed to the painting. "Isn't worth bragging about. Don't even show it to Ummi or Abii, because they are going to deceive you and say it's the best thing they have seen all their lives." He chuckled. "It's what parents always do. It's embarrassing. If I were you, I will just tear it."

I gulped. It was the last straw. He had really gone overboard. "You're right." I picked up the paper and tore it into pieces. "It's trash."

Imran's jaw fell to the ground. "What have you done!"

"What you suggested." I scoffed. "Happy now?"

The remorse that glistened in his eyes, didn't go unnoticed by me. He lowered his gaze in what I assumed to be shame. "You didn't have to take my words seriously and tore it. I didn't mean those things I said."

I shook my head in disagreement. "You aren't a kid anymore, Imran." I pointed out. "You should know when and when not to make shabby jokes. Thanks to you, I destroyed something I put in my all to make. Thanks for ruining my mood. You should be proud of yourself."

"Man—"

"Just leave me alone, I don't want to—"

"Manal!" Ummi's voice cut me off.

"Na'am." I yelled back and walked out of the room, without sparing Imran another look.

Immediately I stepped out of the room, I swallowed a lump in my throat. I mentally slapped myself on the head for acting so stupidly on impulse. No matter what my brother had said, I shouldn't have given him the pleasure of seeing that his words actually got to me. I had been doing a great job, but I had to let my emotion get to me.

Stupid.

I made sure to compose myself, before walking into Ummi's room. "Assalamualaikum."

"Waalaykum salaam." She responded.

I tilted my brows in surprise. Judging by the way Ummi was dressed, I could tell she was set to leave the house.

"Are you going somewhere?"

"Yes. Today is my friend's daughter's wedding walima. I'm going to attend. Do you want to come with me? I know you must be tired of staying indoors for such a long time."

"No, Ummi." I pursed up my lips. "I'm already used to it. I will just stay here at home."

"Are you sure?"

I hummed.

Ummi didn't seem convinced by my response. "Go and get ready, I'm waiting for you."

"But Ummi, I said I don't want t—"

"Do as I say."

"Please, Ummi." I beseeched. "I really don't want to go anywhere."

"Not even to Farida's house?" She raised a brow.

"No—what? Farida's house?" I asked, surprised. I really didn't expect those words from Ummi. She took me by surprise.

"Go get ready. I will drop you there, then pick you up while returning from the walima."

"Thank you, Ummi." I smiled. "Thank you. I love you."

She maintained a straight face. "Go ahead, I don't want to be late."

Walking back to my room, I couldn't help, but feel some sort of way about accepting Ummi's offer to drop me off at Farida's place. Unlike before, Farida and I had drifted apart. I knew we were trying to mend our broken relationship and go back to the way we used to be, but I still couldn't help the discomfort whenever I was with her. We had been calling each other and chatting on social media on daily basis, but not one of us had visited the other since we returned from school. Farida had wanted to visit about a week ago, but I declined and came up with an excuse—an excuse that didn't even seem convincing to me myself.

It wasn't really a bad idea to visit her, but what I wanted to avoid so much, was bumping into Jawaad. After our last encounter, I wanted nothing to do with him anymore. The last thing I wanted, was to be ignored again. For a fact, I knew I wouldn't be able to bear it. It would indubitably make me feel bad about myself. I'd be force to think I am not good enough.

I walked into my room and to my surprise, Imran was still there. He was crouched, picking the pieces of paper from the floor. He stood and without saying a word to me, he walked out of the room. 

"He didn't have to clean it up though." I rolled my eyes.

In few minutes, I had changed into a  simple denim skirt, a white blouse and a toe-length pink hijab.

Assalamualaikum/hello!

So nobody likes Jawaad? 😂😂

Why nw? He's an handsome man 🥺🥺

Imran is annoying 😩

Do you think Manal doesn't have a good management of her anger?

Please let me know your thoughts in the comments 😌🙏

Follow my account on wattpad ❤️

deey_jah