"Oi, Kiba," he exclaimed with a wide smile. "Hana has a ninken, too! You should be friends!"

The lazy smirk on Kiba's face fell into open mouthed surprise. On his head, Akamaru mewled.

Hana laughed, raising a hand over her mouth despite the mask. "Oh, how cute! Momiji, come say hi." The fluffy white dog trotted out from behind her human, the long fur on her ears swishing like a human girl's hair.

Hana smiled up at Kiba, totally aware of the flush on his tattooed face and ignoring it. Ha! "My name is Hanako Hatake, it's nice to meet some of Naruto's friends."

They weren't his friends, though, and they knew that, if their uncomfortable expressions were anything to go by. Kiba stammered nervously.

"I-I'm Kiba I-Inuzuka, and this is A-Akamaru!" The puppy yipped.

Hanako smiled. "Eh, my grandmother was an Inuzuka! Maybe we're related?"

Kiba looked away. "Y-yeah, maybe."

Hana looked past the blushing fool and her eyes brightened. "Ah, Aburame-san! Hello! How are your kikaichu?"

The quiet Shino stepped past Kiba with a hum. "They are well and thank you for asking."

"It'd be kind of rude not to, since they can understand me, right?"

Shino nodded.

Naruto cocked his head, eyes squinting in the way Hana assured him looked like those fox masks at festivals. "Eh, you guys know each other?"

Hana nodded eagerly. "Yep! His dad helped me out with something when daddy was away on a mission." Her black eyes were bright with excitement. "Remind me to show you after school, ok?"

Naruto held out his thumb. "You got it!"

"Who are the rest of your friends?" She asked, turning her gaze on the other boys. "I don't think I've had a chance to meet them on my own."

Shikamaru and Chouji introduced themselves, and Hana's face lit up in recognition. "Ah! I know you! Your dad was my Uncle Guy's jounin sensei! Team Chouza!"

Chouji actually paused in eating his chips—salt and vinegar, yuck! "Might Guy is your uncle?"

"Well, not by blood." Hana shrugged. "He's my dad's best friend, though, so he might as well be, you know?"

Chouji nodded. "That makes sense. Guy-nii-san's never mentioned a niece."

Hana laughed. "That is the kind of thing he'd shout from the rooftops, huh?"

"Hey, guys, what's going on?"

Everyone turned to see Ino and some of the other girls approaching. Sasuke-teme was off to one side, lurking on the edge of the group, as always.

"Hey, Ino-chan," Hana said happily. "How have you been?"

Ino smiled in greeting. "Oh, hey Hanako-chan, it's been a while."

Naruto watched the friendly conversation with a mixture of awe and horror. Ino Yamanako was being nice to another girl? A quick glance at Shikamaru confirmed he was just as surprised. Not a genjutsu, then.

"How do you know so many of my classmates, Hana?"

She gave him a quizzical look. "I only know two of them, Naruto. Just Aburame-san and Ino-chan. Although," she gave the gathered kids a smile. "I guess I know more of them, now, huh?"

"Hey, um," Kiba's blush had never really faded, but it was back in full force. "How'd you get a ninken? Is because of your grandma?"

Hanako reached down and picked up Momiji, cradling the fancy dog against her chest. "Nope. My clan has a summoning contract with dogs. Momiji's the first dog I summoned on my own."