Chapter 10: The America Singer Part Two

Start from the beginning

Almost.

"You guess?"

I almost allowed myself to tense at the voice, but I had more control than that.

I look over at Prince Forrest, who was smiling kindly. "Tell us what you write about, Lady Cordelia. I am quite interested."

He was trying to catch me in something. The fact that he was testing me in the first place wasn't good. I couldn't allow myself to feel panic, nonetheless show it.

"I like to write stories." I say with a small smile, the kind of smile people use when they talk about something they love and enjoy. "Placing myself in someone else's shoes and seeing a life from their eyes fascinates me." The ironic thing about this statement is that it is not a lie. "Putting it into words only enhances my understanding. Like living another life."

King Everette and Queen Hero look at each other with a smile. "That is so sweet, Cordelia." Queen Hero says.

"Would you mind if I read some of these stories, Cordelia?" Prince Forrest asks, and I resist the urge to throw my shoe at him.

"Not at all." I give him an excited smile. One that said: "Oh my god the prince just asked to read my stories!"

"If you don't mind," Prince Harlan pipes in and I look over at him. "I would also like to read those stories."

He was cute with his sheepish look and pink cheeks. I could tell he didn't like to one-up his brother, and I know he felt guilty for what happened earlier.

"Of course." I give him a warm smile and he gives me one back. I count the seconds we stare at each other, and they are longer than necessary. In the corner of my eye I catch Queen Hero nudging King Everette, who chuckles lightly.

Prince Forrest clears his throat and takes a long drink.

The table chatter begins again as I take a small bite of my food. I didn't really care for the finer things. I didn't want maids because I didn't need to be pampered. I could take care of myself and I found it utterly unnecessary for someone else to dress me. But the food that I was eating? It was something I could appreciate. And I plan on never eating anything less than what the chefs of this palace prepare, because I also plan on staying here permanently.

***

After dinner I am the first out the door. I was hoping Prince Harlan would come to my room later, but you never know. Doesn't matter anyway, I was making good time. He already looked at me like no one else was in the room, and it was only the third day.

Out of nowhere someone grabs my arm and pulls me out of sight. I'm pressed up against a wall before I even realize what's happening.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Prince Forrest glowers down at me.

I felt trapped. I didn't like this feeling. I didn't like feeling trapped, it was one of my few fears. We were at a close proximity and I couldn't move. He was much stronger than me and there was nothing I could do about it.

"I'm here like every other girl. I don't understand your sudden interest in me." I glare at him trying to look menacing. But if I'm being honest my heart was racing fast. I was a deer in headlights.

"No you're not. The first day we meant, you weren't scared of me. You weren't scared of being sent home if you were rude to me. Which you were."

I try to catch him off guard by quickly shifting, anything to escape him. But his hand shoots out and rests on my hip and he closes the space between us.

"You knew you weren't going to be sent home." He hisses. "You had a safety-net. And that safety-net happens to be my brother."

"I have no idea what you're talking about. I was rude to you because you acted like an ass. A pretty big one." I spit.

"I was attracted to you so I acted on it. Why do I have to act differently because I'm a prince? Why do I have to be perfect? Why am I not allowed to be less than perfect just because I'm a prince?"

"It's in the job description." I say in a deadly calm. "You want a normal life? Give up the crown."

"Funny." Prince Forrest says and leans his head down. "You honestly and positively look gorgeous tonight, Cordelia."

What was this? Was he not just accusing me of playing his brother? Given that I am in a sense, doesn't explain his sudden want for me. Did this boy have schizophrenia?

"Get. Your. Hands. Off. Me." I clip out as his mouth is dangerously close to mine.

"Why Cordelia?"

I had no idea what was happening. I had no idea how to react. And I had no idea how to handle this situation. I was trapped in the worst way imaginable.

He kisses my neck softly and I can't help to acknowledge the small flutters in my stomach. I wanted him to kiss me there. My eyes flutter closed as I tilt my head back. I would have let him continue if it wasn't for the fact I wasn't in control and he was calling the shots. I was told I was not allowed to refuse him.

I was trapped.

I couldn't help but think of Queen America and how she handled situations like this. Granted King Maxon would never act like this, but she didn't know that at the time.

I didn't even need to calculate this move, because my reflexes took care of that for me.

My knee shot up as it hit him right in the balls.

I guess I just pulled an another America Singer.

"What the hell-" He groans and bends over. "-is wrong with you?!"

I lean down and fist my hand on his shirt, pulling him toward me.

"Touch me again," I whisper in his ear. "I'll cut your hands off."

"You're leaving." He hisses out. "Tomorrow."

I smirk. "I don't think so." I shove him backward so he falls to the ground, still clutching the area I kneed in pain.

"You think I won't tell my brother about this? He won't choose a girl he just met over his own brother."

I smile toward Prince Forrest. "And you think I won't tell him what you tried to do to me? Before you say he wouldn't believe me, I would think twice."

Prince Forrest raises an eyebrow, all his anger melting away. He now looked intrigued. "Calculating again, Cordelia? You always seem to be calculating."

"And you always seem to be touching." I shoot back and begin to walk toward my room. "Good night, Prince Forrest. I hope you put some ice on that, wouldn't want those areas to bruise now would we?"

I turn the corner, fix my dress, and saunter down the hall.

I had a real prince waiting for me.