Chapter 24: Choice(s)

I've never been to a funeral. I've read about them and I've seen them from afar, but I was never a part of one. I never thought I would mean something to someone that it would actually score me an invite. 

All of Illéa is in mourning. There were millions of people lined up along the palace walls, holding up lanterns or candles, I was too far away to tell which. Maxon wanted to have America's funeral during the evening, just as the sun was about to set. 

Elise and Daisy made me a conservative black dress that ran just below the knees. I knew you were supposed to wear black at funerals, but the moment I put on that dress it felt real. All of this felt real. Her passing, I mean.

My hair was in another bun and my makeup was simple. I argued with Elise that none of this was necessary, that I didn't need to look my best. I just needed to look respectful.

I lost this battle because apparently there would be cameras filming. Cameras! As I said before, I've never attended a funeral before. But I know enough to recognize how disrespectful that can be. 

"Are you ready, Miss?" Athena asks me, her palm already resting on the doorknob. 

"Yes," I nod and walk out of the room with my hands clasped in front of me. 

The selected were scattered through out the crowd gathering in the garden. I thought funerals were supposed to be for the families to mourn, or find some sort of comfort to move on with. 

I scoff at the people with cameras around their necks. I wouldn't be surprised if they sold tickets to attend the damn funeral in the first place.

"Someone is letting her pissy colors show today." 

I glance over at the boy standing beside me. "Oh?"

Forrest smirks. "Usually you look bubbly and happy. But today you just look pissed off. Which I'm sure you usually do under that bubbly and happy exterior of yours."

"What's up with you?" I ask cautiously. 

"What do you mean?" 

"You seem a little too perky for one at a funeral."

A dark expression passes over his face. "You know as well as I do this whole thing is a joke. Funerals and graveyards are for the living, not the dead. I would rather mourn my grandmother respectfully with only my family, rather than pay my respects for a source of entertainment." 

I nod. "Makes sense." 

"What about you, why are you angry?" He asks, and I feel his dark green eyes looking at me. 

It surprised me a little that the reason I was upset was the same reason he seemed to be upset. "Same as you, Forrest." I sigh with defeat. "But you already knew that."

The smirk returns back to his face. "Of course I did." 

"If everyone could please find a seat." I hear Maxon's voice through a microphone. 

A couple flashes help my anger arise back to the surface. 

Forrest and the rest of his family sit in the front row, while me and the other selected are placed behind them. 

Taylor practically shoves me out of the way as she went to sit behind Forrest. It was completely ridiculous that even at a funeral, she still had the need to throw competition at everyone. Of course her actions rattled other girls, so I just waited with Felicity until they were all finished discreetly fighting with each other. 

***

The ceremony was sad. You would think I wouldn't care, because I made it seem that way. But of course I cared. Queen America was kind and did a lot for this country, and not only that but she was loved deeply by her family. I know a lot of people don't consider this. And I know they don't because otherwise the speakers today wouldn't be telling us how great of a leader she was. They would be mourning with the rest of the family. The fact that she was so loved by her family makes her loss even harder to comprehend. I mean, look what happened to Elise after Michael died... Well, was murdered.