Chapter 4: Team Cinderella

I stuck my province flower behind my ear, straightening my white blouse and brushing off my black pants. Today was the day I would board a plane and leave this all behind. This was my chance to escape the life that was so cruelly handed to me.

As I exited my room and headed downstairs, I saw all the girls waiting for me by the front door.

Allison runs up to me and throws her small arms around my waist, tears streaming down her face. "Cory, I'm gonna miss you."

I do not only feel pain for myself anymore, when I was younger I was even more selfish then I was now. Leaving Allison, Callie, and even Alex behind was hard. So painfully hard I was angry at myself for becoming so attached to them. But I would help them. When I became the princess, I would try my damn hardest to get them out of this life. Hell, I'd even adopt them.

I bend down and hold back tears. I was not a cryer and I never would be one. Crying is for the naive, ignorant, and in most cases weak. I was none of those things because I taught myself not to be. 

I wrap my arms around Allison and kiss the top of her head. "I'm going to miss you, Ally." 

She sniffles and pulls back. "Who is going to care about me?"

I look at her helplessly. I didn't have a concrete answer for her, but I had one nonetheless. "You see all these girls surrounding you?" I gesture all around me, then I look straight at Callie, giving her a hint. "They are all here for you. Never forget that."

Allison nods and wipes her eyes. I stand up and head for the door, but Callie and Alex both barrel into me as I approach the door. I have to admit it caught me off guard, I didn't think either of them cared for me all that much. 

"We really are going to miss you, Cory." Callie says and pulls back, looking up at me with sad eyes. Alex pulls back a few moments after Callie. "And for what it's worth, I hope those princes fall head over heals for you. Because you deserve it." 

I stare down at Alex shocked. I guess her tough love was really a sign of affection. 

"I'll send home treats for you all." I look around then pat Alex's head. "and thank you."

She nods before I wave my goodbye to everyone, faintly spotting Ms. Torrean scowling in the background. 

***

The flashes from the cameras was something I wasn't suspecting. I didn't think anyone would care about someone like me going to the palace. To be honest, most people probably thought I was a lost cause. I was the royal family's charity project. But that might be the reason I was so popular in the first place. 

As I am dropped off at the airport, I notice little girls holding up large signs that say, "Team Cinderella" and I at first I wonder if it's me. But as I near closer to them, they beam up at me.

"Hello," I say and look down at them with a warm smile. I had to wear my mask for now on, I had to look like I cared. That whenever I sang freaking song birds would rest on my fingers.

"I think you should win." the young girl shouts defiantly. "girls like us need a happy ending." 

Before I could ask her what that meant, I felt someone pulling me up.

It was a guard. "You must board the plane now, miss."

I nod and walk up the steps and into a plane that looked more like a private jet. All thirty four girls were already sitting down in their seats, reading magazines or sketching or writing. They all had talents that were probably amazing. Queen America is a musician, Queen Hero is an artist, who am I? 

I sit down in a seat at the back of the plane, the only available spot next to a girl with dark blond hair and agitated fingers. 

"Mind if I sit here?" I ask and she looks up at me and smiles. "Oh no, of course not."

I sit down next to her and pull my journal out onto my lap. The only thing I owned, that was officially mine in this world, was this journal and the thoughts I wrote inside them. 

"I'm Felicity." the girl says in a light voice. Her voice reminded me of music.

I look over at her and plaster on my sweetest smile. "Cordelia. Nice to meet you."

She nods and looks out the window. "This is so exciting," she continues and I mentally sigh. Have I been stuck with a talker?

"I know, it's almost surreal." I say trying to match her tone of voice. 

Felicity nods and leans her head against the window. "That's for sure."

I nod, and after a moment of her silence I figured she was done. 

"I wonder what the palace will look like," she sigh dreamily then looks over at me. "Where are you from?"

"Sumner." I say and mentally groan. "How about you?"

"Columbia." Felicity answers. "I know you're probably annoyed right now." 

I go to back myself up but she laughs. "Relax, I would be annoyed too. I'm a talker." she says and I smile, but I'm not really sure if it's a genuine one. "Sorry, just the nerves and everything have me anxious." I laugh softly and she continues to smile.

"Same here. I'll leave you to your thoughts," she glances down at my journal and turns her attention out the window. Felicity doesn't say anything the rest of the plane ride.