𝘗𝘢𝘳𝘵 18

Lord Takahiro gets his wish almost a month later. As July gives way to August he is able to return to the Aoba Johsai castle grounds for Oikawa's bachelor celebration.

The King has prepared a grand banquet for his first son's leaving ceremony, and nobles from around the kingdom have made their way to give their congratulations. Mixed emotions flutter about the castle in preparation.

It has not been long since the Queen's passing, and many had expected the wedding to be postponed. But the King is adamant to remain on schedule. The servants rush about the grounds, stripping the walls of their dark and gloom, refreshing them with their brilliant teal and white sparkles.

Iwaizumi hovers around, giving orders to the servants with a natural ease. They come to him, constantly, asking, "Would Prince Tooru prefer this wine? Or the other?"

"Iwaizumi, does Prince Tooru like roses or lilacs?"

"Iwaizumi, would Prince Tooru accept a parting gift from us? We are going to miss him."

Iwaizumi fields these questions with simple answers full of expertise. It surprises him, how much he has retained after all of these years, how much of this is just innate knowledge.

It's nice, to be distracted, to be needed by so many and therefore to be constantly busy. It means he has little time to dwell on the reality of the situation. That time is ticking. That very, very soon, Oikawa would be leaving the Aoba Johsai castle forever, and that Iwaizumi would be shipped off to some border to guard.

The celebration itself is a grandiose affair. Nobles give speeches on the competency of the First Prince. Many share their pride, share their stories, share their adoration. A few Lords and Ladies bemoan the fact the Prettiest Prince in all the Lands is soon to be officially off the market.

Oikawa takes all this with a gracious smile and his normal charming flair. He dances among them with calculated ease, pulling on heartstrings and assuaging fears. He gives speeches both humorous and serious, and the same thought plagues the crowds, the same question boggling the minds of the kingdom for years and years and years.

Why are we sending our beloved Prince away?

Again, Oikawa lets the servants speak their peace, smiling as they tear up, offering his well wishes, naming them off with ease. He accepts their parting gift, a simple basket of his favorite baked goods, hand-weaved and dyed in the colors of his kingdom. Oikawa holds it reverentially in his arms.

Iwaizumi, again, declines to speak. Voice lost in the myriad of emotions swirling in his stomach. It becomes apparent he does not need words to make his feelings apparent, as he spends the early evening being consoled by servants from every department within the castle.

"We're all going to miss him."

"You two were always so close."

"I'm sure he'll visit often."

"Maybe you'll be assigned to the Shiratorizawa border."

Iwaizumi is surprised by their genuine kindness, unsure how to take it all. Does he look that miserable? That torn up inside that it bleeds through his pores, painting him a portrait of overwhelming sadness?

It as he is helping clean up one of the dining rooms that Yahaba interrupts him. By then most of the nobles had departed, the festivities having come to an end.

"Iwaizumi," Yahaba mumbles into his ear, "Prince Tooru wishes you to join him in Lord Takahiro's guest quarters."

Iwaizumi nods, handing Yahaba the tray of dirty plates in his hand and moving to climb the ornate stairs. He slips into the guest hallway, making his way to the corner room. Lord Takahiro always requested it, because of its large overlooking windows.