𝘗𝘢𝘳𝘵 14

Start from the beginning

Iwaizumi's shoulders sag.

Yahaba and Oikawa are conversing in hushed tones, and Iwaizumi strains to hear what they could be discussing, while springing away from his opponent's attempts. He plays defensive, dodging and countering, trying to maneuver himself closer to the conversation.

A hit on his shoulder brings him back. One point to her.

"Woah!" Prince Shouyou shouts, at the edge of his seat.

Iwaizumi grits his teeth, tearing his eyes away from Oikawa to focus back on the match. The women, Ayame, is grinning at him, bangs slick with sweat. She raises an eyebrow and Iwaizumi's holds his sword out, ready.

Ayame springs first, bringing her sword around with her to hit his shin. He jumps, back, sending his sword down to hit her back. But her weapon is already drawn up to block. She steps back, and the pair lock themselves into a series of parries, steel hitting steel in loud clashes. They dance together, skilled and magnificent, neither refusing to give way.

Iwaizumi strains to find an opening in her defense, waiting patiently for her to stumble. Finally, she makes a misstep, and Iwaizumi is able to land a tap to her thigh. She groans in annoyance, sending a seething glare. He smiles at her.

She sighs, nodding, and the pair sheath they're swords. They step forward, exchanging a firm handshake, "One day, Iwaizumi."

"Probably soon," Iwaizumi concedes with a breathy laugh in his voice. He's winded.

Her brown eyes shine at the complement. He pats her shoulder before turning back to his audience. The two knights bow deeply. "I hope that was to your liking, Prince Shouyou," he calls out.

Prince Shouyou applauds, getting up from his chair for a standing ovation. Prince Tobio stands as well. Oikawa is gone.

Iwaizumi forces on a smile, "What is next on the schedule for our guest, Prince Tobio?"

Prince Tobio purses his lips, face drawn up in a signature scowl that Iwaizumi has come to believe is just his neutral expression, "We were going to walk through the orchards."

"Would you like me to accompany you?" Iwaizumi asks, flicking his eyes to Kindaichi whose expression seems to be crying out to him for help.

"Yes!" Prince Shouyou shouts, excited at the prospect of an accomplished knight as his escort.

Iwaizumi bows, "Lead the way, sire."

As the four of them walk toward the orchards, Iwaizumi falls into step with Kindaichi, "It's been a while, Kindaichi."

Kindaichi looks at him with a sense of awe, "You've become an amazing knight, Iwaizumi."

Iwaizumi smiles, "Thanks."

"I truly envy you," Kindaichi continues, looking back at the princes with scorn in his eyes, "I would give anything to be doing something as worthwhile as training to be a knight."

"Your job is incredibly important." Iwaizumi assures.

"He's awful, Iwaizumi," Kindaichi mutters instead, "He cares only for himself and has such a foul mouth. I never have a moments peace! It's as if he doesn't realize I'm a person too."

Iwaizumi squeezes his shoulder, "I know it's difficult. I--Oh, should we, stop them?" he interrupts himself, seeing as the two princes have started sprinting away as fast as they can toward the oncoming trees.

"No, they've doing that all weekend." Kindaichi sighs, "I'm in charge of remembering the tally."

"Really?" Iwaizumi blinks, watching the Princes pull and snap at each other as they weave through the grounds, screaming as they go, "I've never seen the young Prince so...animated."