𝘗𝘢𝘳𝘵 11

Start from the beginning

Kyoutani insists on a rematch, and another, and another, but Iwaizumi trumps him each time, letting out victorious laugh after victorious laugh. Kyoutani glowers as the group of trainees cheer around him. And it is in the midst of this celebration that they are interrupted.

"Pardon the intrusion! Is Iwaizumi in here?" Oikawa calls into the room, smiling with amusement at the merry making around him.

The trainees all freeze before quickly bowing deeply to the Prince in greeting. Iwaizumi and Kyoutani stand up, and when Kyoutani doesn't move further, Iwaizumi slaps him on the back, "Bow to your Prince," he orders sternly. Kyoutani grumbles, but does as he's told.

Oikawa chuckles into his hand, "It's alright. It's been a while since I've visited the barracks."

One of the trainees steps forward, words clumsy and flustered, "You were away on your trip, we understand."

"Oh, thank you Fujioka, you are much too kind. How is your sister?" Oikawa responds with his signature smile.

The trainee's eyes widen, a grin overtaking her face at being remembered by someone so important, "She's completely recovered!"

"That's wonderful. I'm glad to hear it." Oikawa nods, turning his sparkling brown eyes to gaze upon green, "I'm sorry to interrupt all the fun, but I need to steal my attendant back."

Iwaizumi pushes his way through, waving a goodbye to the trainees before falling into step beside Oikawa. When they're safely out of earshot, Iwaizumi leans in, "Is something wrong?"

Oikawa shakes his head, "No, I just missed you is all."

Iwaizumi feels his neck flame up so he puts on a deep frown to mask it, "That's dumb."

"Sorry, Iwa-chan! You're stuck with me!" Oikawa calls in a sing song voice, as he speeds up his step to more of a light jog. "Oh but, can you get the mail! I might have gotten letters while I was away! I'll see you in the room! Bye!"

Iwaizumi rolls his eyes, now that the true reason has been revealed. He lets out a sigh, but obediently heads over to the mail on the other side of the castle. It's a long walk that Oikawa hates and Iwaizumi is thus, accustomed to doing.There are some letters from a few nobles, one from Ushijima, and one from Karasuno. He pockets them, cracking a crick in his neck he developed during the long journey and heads back toward the Great Hall.

He doesn't get very far when a hand rests on his shoulder, making him freeze. He looks up to see the King smiling down on him. He can't help the shiver that runs down his spine at the sight. He quickly brings his head back to look straight ahead. He could never figure out how to look at the King properly.

"Iwaizumi, it's good to see you again. Can I talk to you for a moment?"

Iwaizumi nods, words incapable of passing through the knot in his throat. He feels like he's choking, feet cold as the King steers him up the stairs and to his private study. He had never been alone with the King before. He had never wanted to be.

The King's study is as grandiose as expected. Ornate book cases tower him on either sides of the wall. A beautiful oak writing desk sits by the window, covered in papers and fresh ink. The King takes a seat, offering Iwaizumi one as well. But Iwaizumi's legs are locked at the knees and so he stays standing.

"There's no need to look so terrified, Iwaizumi." The Kings says, "I'm here to thank you."

Iwaizumi blinks, but the tension does not leave his shoulders.

The King takes a sip of the wine in his hand, "How was your trip?"

"It was good, sire." Iwaizumi answers.