I slid the key into the lock with shaky, cold hands. The door pushed open with a squeal, revealing my apartment. Stepping in, I dropped my keys on the small table next to the door, unraveling all my winter clothing.

My apartment was small, as I said. It was the same one that I had first moved into. I didn't see the point in buying something bigger or fancier, although I probably had the money to do so. There was a small hallway from the door leading into the kitchen, which was pretty basic. Oven top, microwave, oven, sink, coffee machine, toaster. There were two chairs seated at the breakfast bar, which was covered in papers, pencils, pens, and my own laptop. A few steps further was the living room, which was only slightly bigger than the kitchen. A small couch sat against the wall with a coffee table in front of it. A decently sized TV sat on its stand, DVD player plugged in underneath it. There was a generic picture hung up on the wall behind the couch, but other than that, that was it. Glass sliding doors led out to a one-person balcony with a view of absolutely nothing. Literally, it was just the road and the block of buildings across from my building. And an occasional drunk.

There was one room, my bedroom, with a tiny attached bathroom. My clothes were stuffed in the small dresser the apartment had come with, others were strewn across the floor and on the bed. A lamp sat on the nightstand, along with a book and some glasses. The bathroom attached to the room contained a cramped shower stall,  a small sink, and the toilet. Honestly, the whole apartment was all I needed. I don't know what I'd do with more space.

I flopped onto the couch, groaning as my head hit the throw pillow on it. One of my legs fell off the side and I let it dangle there. I dropped my arms over my eyes, blocking my vision with another sigh. This was my life, the same routine every day, with an occasional grocery shopping trip on the weekends.

I had no friends, I didn't drink often, and I didn't like to spend money. Most of it was saved in a bank account for whenever situations may arrive that I needed to leave. Not that I think I would...It's been three years after all.

I could still remember his face though. The way he looked at me that first time, and the way I flinched away, afraid. I could still hear him calling after me as I ran, my wolf howling in pain as I crossed the border, breaking from my pack and running from my mate. My mate.

I flinched, a headache forming as I thought about it. I couldn't forget about it, that's the problem. But I didn't have the guts to reject him. As much as I didn't want a mate, I couldn't reject them. It'd be better if we were just...apart. If I didn't get to know him there wouldn't be problems. He wouldn't find reasons to hate me. To reject me in the end.

I snarled, bunching my hands up and covering my eyes. My headache was throbbing, and I was just sick of thinking at this point. I could feel my wolf now, after nearly a year of silence, grumbling in the back of my head. Pacing. Angry yet...nervous. Nervously excited. Something was off. I ignored it though, shaking my head and standing up from the couch. I walked into the kitchen, grabbing a bottle of water before stalking off to my room. Uncapping the water I drank it on the way, setting it down on my nightstand as I flopped on the bed. Groaning once again, I buried my face into the fluffy pillow, eye's drooping. Sleep took me after a few seconds, and I didn't fight it.

...

I woke up to the sun shining through my window, the blinds not doing much to stop it. I groaned, flipping onto my other side to avoid the glare. I pulled the sheets over my head, trying to fall back asleep. It didn't work though, and within the span of a few minutes, I was up. Still grumbling though, might I add.

I shuffled to the bathroom, doing my morning routine that consisted of using the toilet, showering, and brushing my teeth. I threw on some sweatpants and a random t-shirt. Walking out of my room into the kitchen, I popped a coffee capsule into the machine, not bothering to replace the water. I placed two slices of bread in the toaster and popped them down, grabbing a jar of jelly from the fridge. I waited in silence, not even bothering with my phone. It was a routine at this point. Coffee, toast with jelly, sit around all day and do nothing. Maybe I'd go shopping or something. The coffee machine dinged and I grabbed my mug, blowing on the hot liquid. After another minute my toast popped up, and I grabbed it, throwing it on a small plate. I spread the jelly over both pieces, biting into one as I walked to the living room. I plopped myself down on the couch and turned the TV on. I watched it in silence, not really paying any attention to whatever was playing. Probably the news or something. I finished my breakfast and just left the dishes on the coffee table.

I watched TV for maybe less than an hour before getting bored. I stood from the couch with a groan, taking my dishes to the kitchen and placing them in the sink before retreating to my room. I changed into something slightly more presentable before grabbing my phone, keys, and wallet before walking out the door. I walked down the stairs, stepping out onto the sidewalk. It was cold still, but slightly better than yesterday. I walked down the sidewalk towards town.

Maybe I could find something interesting to do.

Probably not.

Very boring chapter, sorry. It gets good soon. :)
A/N- y'all, hear me out here; I know the time gap is big and probably bigger than it needs to be and for that I'm sorry. I can't change it right now but when I re-write it will be changed. Im sorry, please don't be mad at me 😭🙏
Thank you for reading tho, even with the stupidly large time gap.