"Anyway, the next question is what fae are friend and foe?" She asked Kane, lifting her head and looking into his eyes.

He thought for a moment, "the Unseelie Court were deemed foe in 1069 when they orchestrated an attack on the people of Shrewsbury which led to the death of solis prodigy Sir Hubert Green. The Seelie Court were deemed friend due to the treaty of Viridi in 632 A.D between their kind and prodigies".

Bella was quickly scrambling it down and nodding as he spoke, "But?" She asked while writing.

He rolled his eyes, "But, fae cannot be defined as simply friend or foe because it depends upon who they encounter".

"Yep," Bella began, "I'm surprised they're letting you go into your seventh year".

Kane chuckled, "I'm actually doing well in most classes B".

They sat in silence for a few minutes as Bella continued to write until she stopped, closing the book and placing it in her lap.

"Can I ask you something?" She asked

Kane glanced over at her, a confused look on his face, "No" he replied. 

She squinted her eyes at him before continuing, "What did you mean when you said this was all Audrey's fault?".

His jaw clenched at the mention of her name, and he looked away from Bella. He didn't want to think about her, the mistake Charlie had made by caring for her and the bond she had unintentionally caused and ruined by giving him that pendant. His hands tightened into fists by his side as he spoke in a low and resentful tone, "She's the one who gave Charlie the pendant".

"What pendant?" She replied.

Kane turned his head to look at her, a smirk growing on his face, "It looks like for once I know more than you do".

She fought back a smile and looked down at the book in her lap, her fingers fiddling with its pages as Kane stared at her with wide eyes.

"How long has it been?" He asked her, his voice soft and quiet but she heard him perfectly clear.

Her smile dropped, yet he continued, "I miss him you know".

Bella didn't say anything, her lips tightly pressed together in a thin line as she didn't dare look up at him. Her eyes were slowly beginning to gloss over with tears and she thought of speaking up to change the subject, but this idea quickly faded. She knew if she tried to speak now, it would only come out in a painful rasp and so tears would then uncontrollably pour from her eyes.

"Peter was a good friend to me" he began, "and I know I've said it a thousand times before but, I really am sorry for how things turned out for him...and for you".

She snapped her head up, looking at him with blurred vision as the book in her hand was now beginning to bend and crease under her tight grasp. Her throat was tightening, throbbing in pain, as her heart felt like it would rupture if Kane continued.

"Stop" she spat, her chest rising and falling rapidly as she struggled to take a deep breath.

Kane wanted to apologise, he didn't exactly know what for but seeing Bella so close to falling apart made him desperately want to. He parted his lips about to speak until the door slowly creaked open, he looked over to see Nora and Audrey standing in the doorway.

"You were right" Audrey whispered, staring at Kane, "You were right, it's all my fault".

Nora shut the door behind them before putting an arm around Audrey, "No it's not".

Audrey kept staring at Kane, her emotions held together by an elastic band that was trembling and on the verge of snapping into pieces. Her eyes wouldn't move away from him, and so they both just stared at each other in silence for a moment.