Chap. 3 - Didn't expect to have fun did ya?

[So there's a glitch: if you're reading this on your phone and the app, chapter one isn't shown. Try reading it via internet or another device. I apologize for the inconvenience and hopefully Wattpad fix it soon]

As the duo was finally leaving the mountains and entering the bright green meadows, Monkey was grabbing various long sticks to try and use them as a staff. Since his own has been stolen by the demons who trapped him in the mountain, he was being very dramatic when he searched for it at first, even calling out to it like it'd respond.
"I didn't know you could be such a drama queen." (Y/n) said, waiting for him with her hands on her hips.
"You don't know my pain" he pointed at her. "Those bastards! Stealing from *me*! They will pay!"
The woman sighed, he reminded her of that one time she lost her doll and searched the entire monastery and village for it. She was seven.

And so after whining a bit and projecting his frustration on the poor trees nearby, Monkey gave up and has been trying to find alternatives ever since. He'd try a few techniques but they'd always end up flying out of his grasp.
"What's wrong? Did you forget how to fight or something?" (Y/n) asked at some point.
"'Course not." he sighed, dropping his latest one. "They're just *way* too light for me, so it's very hard to use them as weapons." he sighed. "I miss my Gold-Banded Cubgel! It was the ultimate staff! My one and only, my weapon soulmate!" he looked up at the sky with his fists close to his face.
"Geez why don't you marry it?" (Y/n) sent him a weird look.
"Well I bet that if it was a girl, she'd at least be pleasant!"
They glared at each-other before looking ahead again.

"If I remember correctly," she said. "your Gold-Banded Cubgel can expand and shrink at your will only?"
"Yep." he nodded.
"So does it have a mind of its own?"
"I don't think so, at least not to the point where it's sentient. More like it was made for me I believe."
(Y/n) puffed a chuckle.
"Who's got an ego now?"
"Still not me, 'cause when it served as one of the four pillars supporting the ocean, it would start glowing once every thousands of years. And when I busted in the king dragon's place, looking for a weapon, just then did it start glowing. And after I tried the entire royal weapon gallery, the dragons thought 'maybe that has something to do with him'. So the king let me check it out, I took it and it shrunk as a staff at my will. So I do believe it was made for me, since I'm also the only one who can lift it."
"It also chooses who lifts it?"
"Nah, it's just really heavy, like 8 tons."
She thought for a moment.
"How did the demons do to steal it then?"
"Glad you ask! I have a theory!" he pointed at her, suddenly very invested in the conversation. "The whole demon army tied ropes around it and pulled it with them back to wherever they put it. And as the years passed, the trail it left became a path in the mountains, meadows and forests."

After he said that, (Y/n) looked down at the narrow path they were taking through the meadow. Monkey noticed.
"Don't worry, that is just a happy coincidence." he smiled.
"You're taking me to your staff aren't you?" she bluntly asked, looking at him with a neutral expression.
"I mean, it would be cool if I had it." he mumbled.
She frowned.
"Guan Yin's island really is that way." he explained. "If I had my staff, fighting would be a million times easier and so we'd get there faster. Like you said: our interests aligned here." he grinned mischievously.
She just hummed and walked ahead of him. Monkey started to whistle, thinking this was another win for his team.

They followed the path for a while but then it suddenly stopped nearby a cliff.
"Huh." Monkey said with folded arms.
"Do you think they flew away?" (Y/n) looked up.
"They could have. But it's more probable that..." he walked over to the edge and looked down. "It fell."
She stood beside him and looked down. There was a town at the bottom.
"So that's where it is! Come on let's get down there!"

Monkey took a few steps back and made a run for it, but as soon as his feet left the ground, she grabbed him by the collar and used all her weight to pull him back, making them both fall on the ground.
"Not like that!" she exclaimed. "We take the long way down!"
Monkey groaned like a child who's been grounded. Nevertheless he still lead her to the town without taking the cool way there which bummed him out a bit.