Chap. 2 - The Horse

"Right, (Y/n)!" Monkey took a very important piece of paper out of his pocket. "Could you put that in your book?"
"Ah, the peach soup recipe! Yes!" she took it and stopped walking to open her bag and put the paper in between her book's pages (with her poems). "Gosh, I'm so happy we finally got it."
"Could you imagine if we forgot to ask?"
They both laughed.
"Well good for you guys I guess." Nian Zhen said.
"Can you believe she didn't even want to taste it?" Monkey whispered to (Y/n).
"I told you, I'm carnivorous!"
"Well, she is a snake." she shrugged. "That's valid I suppose."

"I used to eat humans too." he pointed at himself with his thumb. "People change."
"You're a monkey though!" Nian Zhen pointed. "Monkeys are omnivorous. My body *literally* can't digest plants properly."
"You eat people Nian Zhen?" (Y/n) tilted her head, her eyebrows furrowed.
"No- well..." she glanced away, fumbling with her long sleeves that almost covered her whole hands. "M-my parents would feed us human."
"...Could you please not eat people on this journey?"
"I-I couldn't kill someone for the life of me, I'm..." she looked down. "I'm too weak for that."
"Couldn't kill someone huh?" Monkey raised an eyebrows with a mocking smile. "Remind me what your job used to be again?"
For a moment, she looked uncomfortable. But she eventually recovered.

"Hey! I may have been abetment to murder," she pointed at him. "but you've kill a lot more people, directly, and by yourself!"
"That was a long time ago." he turned his head away, with his chin held high. "I've redeemed myself since then."
"And it's the same situation for me!"
"Oh please," he waved a hand. "we are nothing alike. If you're a blade of grass, then I'm a whole forest-covered mountain!"
"And what am I?" (Y/n) pointed at herself, curious.
"Mmm..." he put his hand under his elbow and his other one to his chin, his eyes narrowed as he examined her for a while.
"Oh now you can't say anything huh?" Nian Zhen smirked.
"I'm just calculating her power level and converting it to plants."
The two women sent each-other a look and lightly shook their head, with (Y/n) smiling.
"You're like..." he moved his hands up and down. "A sizable tree. But like a sexy tree!"
Though his choice of word did made her blush, she frowned in confusion.
"Can we please not call trees sexy?" Nian Zhen raised her hands.
"I'm not saying they are, I'm saying that, if *she* was a tree, she'd be sexy!"
"I don't think that makes it any better." (Y/n) mumbled under her breath, now regretting to have asked.

"Anyway! Changing the subject!" the young demon started walking again, the couple following. "Cool for you guys, you got your recipe. Didn't you say that was like a big family secret?"
"Yeah, but she *is* part of the family." Monkey wrapped an arm around his girlfriend's shoulders and pointed at her.
"Still, my family would've *never*- well, actually," she tilted her head, her gaze wandering. "maybe they would have, for Golden Cicada."
"Because of course they would!"
(Y/n) chuckled, her eyebrows furrowed.
"Your real family's weird, but they can be nice..." her voice trailed off before she looked back. "What's the family's name anyway? I didn't catch it."
The couple froze, their eyes widen open.

"Dammit!!!" they shouted at the same time.
"Woah!" Nian Zhen jumped back in surprise.
"We forgot to ask!!!"
She blinked twice before bursting out laughing, pointing at them and holding her stomach.
"Are...Are you serious?!"
"Shut up you brat!" Monkey glared at her.
"Please don't tease us!" (Y/n) covered her face, blushing. "I feel embarrassed enough as it is!
"Now I get why you're together!" she kept laughing.
"Are you calling us idiots?!" Monkey clenched his fists. "I'll kill you!" with one punch, he destroyed a nearby bolder.
"Keeee!" she flinched, paler.

"D-don't worry..." (Y/n) placed a hand on her shoulders, while still covering half of her face with her other hand. "He does that whenever he's embarrassed."
"I'm not embarrassed!" Monkey glared, folding his arms. "I just don't punch the defenseless. And she'd die if I actually hit her. She's all bark and no bite anyway."
"Hey!" she frowned.
"What? Am I wrong?" he smirked and went up to her. "You're good at getting on my nerves, but if we were to fight, you'd run back to your parents." he leaned closer and poked her forehead to provoke her. "Prove me wrong."
She clenched her fists and sent draggers at him. (Y/n) now felt that the tension was getting a little too real and heavy for her comfort.