Chap. 21 - Fantasies of a Long Time Fan

Class was in session in the monastery, so little nine-year-old (Y/n) was by herself for the afternoon. Not that she minded, now she could play her favorite game of make believe. She found herself a quiet spot somewhere in the village, nearby the forest, where no one could see her, and just like that, the moonlight horse-bird princess of the dawn went on another adventure. Here is a quick recap of how it went:
After hearing of the legend of an ancient horse creature, even more ancient than the Heavens, one day (Y/n) got lost in the forest and she heard a beautiful melody that only she could hear. Turned out it was the horse creature that sang, and somehow she also knew the melody so they sang it together, and she discovered that her and the creature's souls were tied at birth. But after an attack from demons, the creature was killed, thankfully it used the last of its powers to merge its soul with (Y/n)'s, so now she has its powers - but they're like dormant right now, they'll awake surely in a moment of hopelessness when fighting the big bad guy. And so the Jade Emperor sent her on an epic adventure to retrieve a powerful artefact that only she could get with her powers. And she went with Sun Wukong who actually volunteered to accompany her on this journey. And the Heavenly Court was shocked because he has *never* volunteered to accompany *anyone* before. But he was so intrigued by her because there was something...different about her. And right now, after traveling together for a long time, living countless adventures together that weren't played out because (Y/n) skipped to the good part, they just discovered where the demon king was!

"No!" she turned around, her fists clenched with a pained expression. "I have to do this alone...I'm the only one who can stop him."
She started walking but then stopped and turned around, acting as if someone just caught her hand.
"...No. You stay here in case I-" she looked away and pursued her lips with a pained expression. "In case something happens."
There was a moment of silence, she frowned and whisked her hand away.
"So what if I'm gonna die?! He has to be stopped somehow! I'm the chosen one, this is my responsibility!"
She gasped as she suddenly pressed her back against a nearby house, looking up with a surprised expression.
"I don't want to lose you." she whispered, saying Wukong's line and trying not to smile.

Her expression softened. For a moment they just looked into each-other's eyes, then she slowly closed them and leaned closer- One of the windows from the house opened.
"Oh hello (Y/n)! What are you doing-"
"Aaaaaah!!!" she quickly moved away from the house and faced its owner, one of the grandmas, her face red. "Just playing!"
"My, I'm sorry I scared you." she smiled. "It sounded very dramatic for a game, I assume Sun Wukong is a part of it?"
(Y/n) said nothing, she avoided eye contact while playing with her fingers. The grandma chuckled.
"Well don't let me interrupt your story dear, go on ahead." she waved a hand. "I'm just letting some air in."
With that, she went back inside. (Y/n) moved a bit so that she wouldn't be in the old lady's line of sight, and then kept acting out her little drama. But despite only whispering now, someone in the forest was listening, and they were taking notes.

.
.
.
Ever since Monkey's confession, (Y/n) kept glancing at him, and when he was walking in front of her, he could feel her stare on his back. At first he was flattered:
"Look I get it, you can't keep your eyes off me, I don't blame you." he struck a pose, flexing his muscles, his cheeks dusted with pink from having her attention. "Look to your heart's content! Draw a picture if you want, I can hold that pose for as long as you want!"
She simply looked away and denied everything, he chuckled. It was all fun and games, but it's been a few hours now, and he got the impression that she was on her guard more than anything. It was starting to get concerning.
"(Y/n), Peaches," she flinched at the nickname (it slipped out so naturally, he didn't realized he even said it). "I'm not gonna attack you, chill."