|| 𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛. ||

« -- ❈ -- » 

[  𝙰𝚗𝚍 𝚒𝚗 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚜𝚘𝚞𝚕 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚢 𝚙𝚘𝚔𝚎𝚍 𝚊 𝚖𝚒𝚕𝚕𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚘𝚕𝚎𝚜  ]

how it ends // devotchka

« -- ❈ -- » 

The fall months had dragged on, and Jocelin had found the mundane patterns of her days to be quite boring. Usually she was a stickler for routine, finding that a good routine seemed to help her be her best self. Or at least the best self everyone expected. But as the autumn leaves had fallen, and the first snow coated the grounds, she found herself latching onto the rumors of her sister and the trouble her friends were causing in their seventh year. Pins of jealousy pricked her skin, leaving her with indiscernible feelings of want and disgust. Hettie's lavish stories and bold antics even sounded appealing these days, though she would never dare whisper this to anyone. Now the sky was white as the Christmas season came upon them, most students seizing the opportunity to head home. 

"Delilah doesn't come home during Christmas anymore." 

"Neither did Sirius." There was a lick of sadness in his words, though he would never admit it. It hadn't even been a full year since his brother ran away, his face darkened on the wall. In a fit of rage his mother had taken to it, first with Andromeda and then with Sirius. His absence was never noted, it had began long before the incident. Still, as much as Regulus didn't want to feel it, he missed him. 

They both sighed, settled in the booth of the Hogwarts Express as the world sped by. Jocelin played with her fingers, they hadn't spent the holidays as a family since Delilah's second year. 

"Want to come around mine? It's quite lonely with just my parents, and my cousins are away this year." Her ears perked up at the question, she would like nothing more. 

"That would be lovely." 

They shared a smile, and Jocelin felt her heart lift. Silence between them was much more comfortable these days. It was harder to find with Hettie, so she relished the unspoken agreements and sense of ease between her and Regulus. She liked to think that it was something special, just between the two of them.

"Did you hear about Bellatrix? She's marrying Rodolphus Lestrange. And unsurprisingly Narcissa is engaged to Lucius." Regulus commented again, his eyes drifting to the window. Jocelin tried to follow his gaze, but found herself distracted. His hair had grown a little too long again, the curls brushing the tips of his eyelashes. Every so often he'd shake his head, but moments later the curls would fall back in their original places. His jaw was more defined, clenched with whatever thoughts he was mulling over. It was good news, great even, for Narcissa and Bellatrix. But there was some strain.

"And Andromeda?" Regulus looked down at his fingers, his non-answer was good enough. Jocelin swallowed, shivering at the thought. Losing her family was something she wouldn't let herself imagine, even though each year the split became more and more prominent.