Chapter 2

Not edited.

Caleb pushed through the doors of the hosipital with a determination that had passers by moving to the side. He could feel his heart pumping as he ran to the triage desk and demanded to know where Abby was. The nurse who would normally tell him to wait took one look at his face and quickly looked at her computer. A quick 'thanks' was all she got before he was taking off again. Thankfully the elevator had just returned to ground level and he raced in and jabbed the number three repeatedly.

It must have been the longest trip in history as he watched the numbers slowly change. He could feel his throat start to close off as his fear started to take ahold. The doors finally opened and he ran out and looked back and forth along the corridor to see which direction he needed to go.

"Can I help you?"

Caleb looked at the nurse who'd spoken to him "Abigal Crayson."

The woman looked at him with a bemused look on her face and pointed to her left.

"Second door on the left."

"Thank you."

He walked off quickly leaving behind a woman with a strange expression on her face. The young woman who'd been brought in earlier had them all baffled. Not long after she'd arrived she was followed by the two men who were in the room with her at that moment... and now... a third? She shook her head as she returned to her tasks and wondered 'Which one is the boyfriend?'

Opening the door slowly not sure of what he'd find Caleb held his breath. He looked over the scene in front of him and knew if it was physically possible his mouth would be on the ground right about then.

Abby, their baby girl, was hooked up to a multitude of tubes and leads. Her sweet face looked pale and if je wanted to believe it she looked almost deathly white. Noah was sitting beside the bed with her hand in his as he rested with his eyes closed. James was curled up beside her and looked like he hadn't long stopped crying.

After forcing himself to be calm, to be strong, so he could get here as fast he safely could he started to feel the emotions building up inside and the pressure behind his eyes became a painful presence as he let out a sob.

"Caleb"  Noah looked up at him and stood with his hand held out.

He walked forwards never taking his eyes off their babies.

In one quick movement he and Noah were wrapped up in each others arms. Noah who'd tried to be strong finally let out the cries he'd held in and the pair quietly cried together.

"What happened Noah? What's wrong with our girl?"

Noah sat back down and urged Caleb to sit on the arm of the chair beside him. Caleb's arm instinctively went around his shoulders.

"We haven't been taking care of our girl Caleb. She's exhausted from all the work she does and was so run down that she picked up some viral thing. She spent a lot of time in the garden with James over the weekend and ended up pretty sunburnt so that between yesterday and this morning she slept and ended up slightly dehydrated."

Caleb blew out a loud breath.

"So let me see if I have this right. She's been overworking and picked up a flu bug, then got sunburnt and dehydrated?"

Noah nodded as.Caleb shook his head.

"Well fuck."

"That's enough of that language young man." An elderly woman walked in with a tea trolley. "Things may not be so great at the moment but there's no need for foul language."

Caleb went a bright shade of red while Noah grinned at his discomfort.

"Sorry ma'am".

She nodded with a small grin.

"So" she nodded towards the bed "he's the boyfriend. Who are you?"

"Does that matter ma'am?" Caleb stiffened up at her question. He personally didn't care wheter she knew that they were all together or not but he was worried that Abby may be treated differently.

"Just asking a question."

"One that's none of your business."

The woman looked at him with her mouth open before gathering her wits back.

"Well, I don't know if you realise but these rooms are meant for family only. You'll need to leave."

He felt Noah's hand on his back as he started to move his hand in slow circles, a movement the woman saw and scrunched her face in disgust.

"You're gay." Her words were dull and full of disapproval.

"Actually we're bi-sexual. Not that that's any of your business. You are after all only the tea lady. You have no right to say anything at all to us or anyone else."

"You're filth!" she spat the words at him.

"I guess you live alone? I don't. I'm loved every day. You should try it sometime. Now get out."

The woman stood looking at him in disbelief and a small movement to her left had her glancing at the bed when the moment of realisation showed on her face. Her hand pointed between them all in jerky shakey movements.

"You.... all of you... Oh My God..."

"Never heard of multiple person relationships before?" Caleb mocked her as Noah stood up and hit the buzzer.

"You... she... slut!"

"Mrs Wright get out of this room right now!"

A young nurse had come to check why the buzzer had gone off.

"How dare you come into a patients room and speak to visitors that way!"

The old woman started to splutter and point. Her words didn't make sense.

"We don't want her back in this room again." Noah said firmly.

"I apologise sir. She won't be back."

"Don't apologise for me young lady!" she finally found her voice. "I have nothing to apologise for."

"If we disgust you so much then why are you still here?" Caleb now stood beside Noah.

"Oh I'm going. I would say a prayer for you all but you just aren't worth it." She was pushing her trolley out the door when she turned back to look at them "You'll go to hell for what you're doing."

Noah started to chuckle as he turned slightly and put his arms around Caleb's waist.

"At least we're living in our own type of heaven and not a judgmental old sow!"

"Now get out!" Caleb knew if she stayed he'd be tempted to hit the woman. Old or not, she had no right to judge them.

The young nurse was about to apologise again as the old woman left saying she needed a shower to cleanse herself from the filth in the room when Noah raised a hand.

"It's fine. You didn't do anything. I want her reported and fired."

************

Sorry it isn't the longest but I couldn't leave you guessing about what was wrong with Abby for too long.

*******