Chapter 6

Not edited.

"Abby" he sighed while running a hand over his face "I don't know if I can do this."

"Do what exactly?" Noah demanded as James held her hand tightly while Caleb sat with his hand resting over her thigh.

"This" he made a general sweeping motuon with his hand "when I came in here I asked for you and I swear to God I grew three heads until I said you were my sister. They were relieved Abby like they thought..."

His voice trailed off and a heavy silence fell across the room.

"They thought you were with Abby." Noah spoke as a statement rather than ask a question.

Adam nodded with a scowl on his face.

"Does it really matter?"

Adam looked at Caleb with a burning pain clearly showing to them all.

"How can it not? Is this how it will be for the rest of your relationship? How many times will I have to defend myself for wanting to see my sister? Where exactly is this going? It's not like there's a real future between you all. What about marriage? Children? Are you going to draw straws to see who marries her? Will you know who the father of her children are or are you just planning on making a soup and hoping for the best?"

"That's enough." James' voice was harde in tone than anything that she'd ever heard before. He kissed Abby's hand and wiped away her tears before he stood up to speak again.

"Your sister is loved by three men whom she loves in return. You don't have to like it, hell you can loathe it with everything in you if you want. What you don't get to do is come in here and make this situation out to be about you. Abby consented to be my wife this morning and yes in her vows she'll be committing herself to Noah and Caleb as well just as I will be. She's already pregnant Adam and we're fúcking thrilled. She's having twins and the reason why she's in here is because she was overdoing things. Why is that Adam? What's the drive behind Abby? Is she trying to prove she can do it for herself or is she trying to prove to you that she can do it? None of us give a flying fúck if she works, in fact we're more than happy for her not to and we'd love to treat her like the princess she is but knowing Abby she'll still want to work" he looked down at her "although that will change to some degree and with no arguments."

He looked back at Adam who returned the almost hateful gaze he received.

"If you know your sister at all then you know that this isn't something she'd choose to do but it's happened and she's happy. Isn't her happiness what's more important than what you think? How did this get to be about you Adam?"

James finally stopped talking and Adam sat silently, the whole room was so thick with tension there was no way a knife would cut through it.

Noah spoke into the silence.

"It's not an ideal situation Adam. We don't expect you to understand how this works but something you have to understand is that regardless of the fact that you're her brother we won't allow you the chance to belittle her choices. She and now those babies are our family. No one will ever get the chance to hurt her again. She hasn't been well and you walk in and she's crying in minutes of you being here. If you think we're the bad guys here then what the hell are you?"

Three very angry men looked at Adam but he refused to be intimidated.

"Of course it's about me as well! Just like it's about Lucy and my kids. You think that you're the only ones affected? How long will it be before we're shunned and people are turning away from us..."

"So your reputation is more important than me?" Abby spoke for the first time since greeting him when he came into the room.

"What? No!"

"That's what it seems like Adam. You haven't once asked me how I'm feeling or if I'm ok. James told you I was pregnant with twins and you haven't asked if they were affected by me being sick. Adam I understand that this is way outside the box of what you understand but it's something that you can't fix. All my life you've fixed everything for me, even things that didn't need fixing you found a way to fix them" she paused before going on "You need to be honest Adam. Be truthful with yourself. It isn't the relationship that I'm in that bothers you. It's that you're worried that I won't need you anymore. You're worried that you won't have a place in my life anymore but you have to know and realise that it's ok for me to move on with my life. You're my big brother and I love you but I'm all grown up now and I'm ready to look to the future. I have a future with these guys Adam and as much as it will kill me if you decide to walk away you need to decide if you can accept it or not."

"How can you honestly be ok with three guys Abby?"

"Love" she said quietly. "I'm loved by three gorgeous guys Adam. Three guys who annoy the hell out of me at times but they're three guys I can't imagine not coming home to. I still need you Adam. I just need you differently."

"I really don't know Abby. The look I got" he swallowed hard "it made me think of what would happen in the future. OK so maybe I'm being unreasonable but you have to admit that this isn't the most ideal of situations."

Abby shook her head.

"Ideal for who? If you're talking about me Adam then I have to tell you that this is the nost ideal situation that I've ever lived in."

"And now your... pregnant?" he spat the word out like it was a piece of food that had been stuck between his teeth.

"Yes Adam. I'm pregnant and if you waited and talked to me calmly then you'd know that we've already addressed alot of the problems that could come up."

Adam slunped down in his chair and let out a weary sigh while shaking his head.

"I'm sorry sis but I don't understand"

"You haven't tried" Caleb pointed out as he watched the pain flicker over Abby's face time and time again at the way Adam thought.

"We'd never tell Abby she couldn't see you Adam because you are her brother but we won't have you upsetting her when you know damn well that you came to see her because she's been so ill. You need to decide what if you want to be an uncle to our children but remember this" he paused and looked deeply into Abby's eyes "regardless of who you are, Abby is going to be a mother whether you like it or not, and while there's no medical problems we don't need to have a test to say which of us is the father because in our hearts we all are and we'll be standing with her for the rest of her life."