late nights

charlotte abruptly woke up, expecting to find henry next to her. she turned on her phone to check the time. it read 3:23 am.

henry and charlotte were having a sleepover and when they were about to fall asleep, they got a call. henry had to go on a quick mission but he said that she should just sleep because he'll be back soon. that was four hours ago.

usually, ray would go on the missions at night because henry was sixteen and he knew he had school the next morning. but ray was visiting his mother and all the duties were in his hands.

each mission they go on is about an hour. two at the most. so when charlotte saw the time, she immediately panicked. she didn't even want to imagine something horrible happening.

maybe he decided to go back home? she thought.
so she called henry, hoping that he would pick up, but he didn't. charlotte also didn't have a clue who he was fighting or where he went to. so she decided to call schwoz.

"hello, charlotte," schwoz said with a thick accent. it took six times for him to pick up. "why are you calling me at 3:30?"

"i'm really worried about henry. he had to go on a mission and he left around eleven and he still hasn't gotten back!" shenexplained, trying to not let tears fall out of her eyes.

"maybe he's at home?"

"no," she said. "i called his phone many times and he hasn't picked up. henry's phone is always on his nightstand so if i called, he should've been able to hear. besides, he was supposed to come back."

"why was he supposed to come back? and why was he still at your house after eleven?" he asked.

oh shoot! how could i say something like that? charlotte shouted in her head. they had just started dating less than two weeks ago. they kept it a secret because they didn't want to hear a bunch of "i told you so" from everyone. also, if henry and charlotte's parents found out they were together, they probably wouldn't allow them to see each other after a certain time or have sleepovers in the same room.

"uh.. w-we were just studying." she said.

"late at eleven?"

"yeah," she was glad she wasn't in front of schwoz right now. he would definitely be able to tell that she was lying because of the sweat she was breaking right now.

"so then why'd you expect him to come back? if it's three a.m, obviously, he'd go back to his house."

"um- we were... having a sleepover!" charlotte said. nice save!

"but you always have sleepovers with henry and jasper. why is it just you two?" he asked, before taking a long gasp. "are you guys dating?"

"well, guess there's no point of hiding it now. henry and i started dating at the beginning of this month. but you have to promise that you won't tell anyone!"

"secret's safe with me," he said, with a chuckle . "what were we talking about before?"

"about henry, he's still not here!" and right then and there, henry finally showed up. "never mind , he's here." she told him, then hung up.

henry had wounds all over his body. sweat was dripping off him and it mixed with the blood coming from his mouth and nose.

"oh my gosh! what happened? what took you so long?" she asked, setting him down on her bed. her sheets were white and he was staining it, but that was the least of her worries. "at least you're safe and still alive. i thought you died or something because you never take this long."

henry stayed silent.

"are you going to tell me what happened?" she asks, bringing her first aid kit from under her bed.

she immediately got to work. wiping off blood, putting bandages on small cuts. she eventually realized that his injuries were really serious and not something he could fix.

"maybe we should go to the hospital?" i said.

"no. because then they'll be asking what happened and i don't want anyone knowing what happened." he explained. "i just want to stay here. please." he said, placing his head in charlotte's lap.

"well, can you at least tell me?"

"i really can't handle this alone anymore," he said. charlotte gave him a look that asked for him to explain. "well, there was a guy planning to hurt this group of teens. i managed to get them out, but he got mad and got his crew to beat me up. i couldn't call ray because he wasn't here so i really thought i'd die. fortunately, they reported the issue to the police so they got them."

"so it's all good... right?" charlotte asked, cleaning his nose.

"it is. just that it wasn't really scary because i thought i was going to die. i just wish i had my powers back, because if i did, i'd be able to get out of these situations easily and i could dodge every punch."

"well, i'll talk with schwoz. maybe we can study this and see if we can try and get your powers back."

"why haven't you guys done this before?"

"i don't know," she said. "but that's the not the issue now... how are you going to explain this to your parents?"

henry sighed. "i don't want to think about that right now. i want to sleep now, we can figure out what to do in the morning."

"okay," charlotte said with a small chuckle. "also, i'm sorry hen, but schwoz maybe kinda sorta found out that we're together..."

"what?!" he whisper shouted. "how? you know he's going to blab to everyone and then we'll hear a bunch of "i told you so"'s from everyone."

"i made him promise not to tell anyone,"

"you know he won't keep it."

"well, i've actually been thinking about telling some people. our friends and siblings. just not our parents."

"seriously?"

"yeah..." she said, then took a long yawn and rubbed her eyes.

"well, i think we should go to sleep. it's almost four a.m."

charlotte laid down and let henry lay on her stomach. his arms wrapped around her waist. it was an unusual position for them as henry was usually the big spoon. but henry really needed some comfort from somebody.

"goodnight," charlotte said, then gave him a quick peck on the lips.

"goodnight."

and they drifted off to sleep.

hey guys,
the amount of times i've written this chapter is ridiculous. but anyways, hope you liked this. give me some ideas please.

stay safe,
               andi