where were you?

it was late. really late. and henry opened the door, trying to be as quiet as possible. he knew charlotte would be mad him for coming home late, but he still wanted to at least sleep before being confronted. he would deal with it later this morning.

henry removed his shoes, and silently tiptoed to his room. just when he thought it was all good, charlotte appeared.

"and where were you?" she said, crossing her arms over her small four-month pregnant belly.

"uh... i- i was at.. work," henry stuttered. "yeah, i had to work extra long tonight."

charlotte made a questioning look. she took step forward while henry took at step back.

"that's funny because i called your boss and he said that you left around eight."

henry mouth dropped a little.

"okay, let me be honest. i went to the bar with my friends."

"but i thought jasper travelled to barcelona, and jake is abstaining from alcohol for a month?"

"these are different friends," henry explained. "you don't know them, we met at work." henry nodded, trying to sound convincing.

"just cut it out and tell me where you went."

henry sighed. "i want to tell you but i can't."

"how are you going to keep secrets from me when we live in the same house and have been married for almost a year?" charlotte asked.

"listen, i just can't okay,"

"well, until you are ready to tell me. i won't be telling you anything meaning that i'm not talking to you," she said. "you'll also be sleeping on the couch till then. goodnight!" and with that, she walked back to the bedroom and locked the door, so he couldn't even change his clothes.

this was horrible. since her second trimester, charlotte got upset easily and held grudges that would last days. their one year anniversary was coming soon and things might not go well if she's still mad.

henry tried to get comfortable on the couch. luckily, one of charlotte's blanket was there so at least he didn't have to be cold. he tried resting his eyes, but couldn't stop thinking about how their first anniversary could be ruined.

-

the next morning, henry woke up to the smell of bacon and pancakes. he was so ready to eat some. he fell off the couch and quickly went to get ready for work.

after he came out, he saw charlotte eating quietly. usually, she'd say good morning, but she's obviously still upset.

she's really serious henry thought.

he walked in the kitchen, hoping to find something to eat, but sees nothing but dirty dishes.

i should've known

he ends up eating some cornflakes.

the two sit at the table. not a sound to be heard besides the scraping of spoons and forks on the plate and bowl.

it wasn't the first time breakfast was silent. as i said, charlotte held grudges a lot so this happened very often.

she probably didn't make his lunch too. that was fine with him. at least, now he had an excuse to eat fast food. charlotte hated when henry ate fast food, but she can't say anything since she's not talking to him.

"at least now i can eat inside out burger since i have no lunch," henry said, knowing charlotte would be annoyed. with that, he left their apartment.

-

they both came back at the same time. charlotte unlocked the door, the closed the door before henry could get in.

she walked in, changed her clothes and made herself dinner.

"i assume you didn't make me anything," henry said. he had just come out the shower and his hair was a little wet. some of the drops of water were falling into the carpet. he knew it made her mad. "that's fine with me. i'll just order a pizza."

charlotte glared at him and henry smirked. then she rolled her eyes and continued eating her dinner.

-

a couple hours after dinner, the two were getting ready for bed. charlotte wore a short nightgown that was a little see through.

this will definitely get him to talk she thought.

she came into the kitchen to get a glass of water. she wasn't really thirsty, but going to the kitchen was the only way he could see her.

as she expected, henry's eyes were glued onto her.

"i think i should move back into the room now," he said.

charlotte laughs a little, then goes to her room and locks the door.

henry starts to wonder if keeping this secret is still worth it.

-

"good morning," henry said.

as usual, charlotte stayed quiet.

"you're still not talking huh?" henry asked. "is this how you're going to act on our anniversary?"

no response.

"that's it." and with that henry left the house. he went to his car to get what was causing all the silence. "remember when you lost that priceless necklace your mom gave you?"

charlotte nodded.

"well, i called one of my friends from college who was into jewelry, showed him a picture of the necklace and asked if he could find it anywhere. he did and somehow found out that someone has it in a pawn shop in pasadena. so i went to get it. it was supposed to be your anniversary gift

charlotte couldn't believe it. she just ruined her anniversary gift and made a big deal out of nothing.

"oh i'm so sorry, henry. i didn't know."

"it's okay," henry shrugged. "i'd be kinda upset if you came back home super late."

"yeah, why did you go at night?"

"well i have work during the day, so when else would i go?"

"why not on a saturday?"

"because if i left for six hours during the day without telling you where i went, i'm sure you'd be upset. and i thought that by eight, you'd be sleeping because you always sleep early."

charlotte sighed.

"i'm really sorry. it's so sweet that you tracked down something so special to me. thank you." she said, giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"you're welcome," he replied. "guess we're celebrating our anniversary a couple days early."

charlotte giggled.

"i love you," she said, giving him a kiss on the lip.

"i love you more." henry said between kisses.

first time i actually loved my one shot lol. idky i like 'newlywed chenry' i just think it's really cute. hope you're all safe. love you guys

                                            - andi

Published on: 7/5/201