Chapter 4: Closer

Chapter 4

One month.

We had been talking for one whole month since our street food escapade (which wasn't a date, by the way). From books and television series to less trivial stuff, we had been talking non-stop.

It was really weird for me to finally have someone whom I can converse with without boring them to death. Whenever I tried to stray from topics like love, fashion, or basically anything which my friends usually liked to make as subjects of debate, they would jokingly say that I'm a boring. 

Honestly, doesn't anyone like to participate in a hearty, intellectual discussion anymore? And who the hell cares about the dating life of that unheard-of celebrity, anyway?

Hearing myself say that aloud, I thought, Wow. I'm pretentious.

That was why sometimes, I rather enjoyed the company of older people more than kids my age. It used to be the thing that I pride myself the most before I realized that that exact same thing made me a lone loser.

Adults would comment that I'm quite mature and wise for someone my age. I used to go to my mom's office because I like talking to the people there when I was younger. They let me participate in their discussions and asked me my opinions. My mom used to say that her office mates usually gossip like a bunch of 16-year-olds. They just acted like scholars whenever I'm around to amuse me (and make them look smart, too). I laughed when Mom said that because I didn't know if she's joking or not. Whatever the truth was, I'm still grateful for her friends' patience. 

But now, there was someone my age whom I could talk to without thinking that I'm too nerdy.

And that someone was Andrew Rizzi.

Sure, we hated each other's guts at first but now, who knew that we would become good friends?

While I was listening to a lecture on a rainy afternoon, my phone rang loudly.

"Whose phone was that?" my Abnormal Psychology professor bellowed.

The whole class pretended that they hadn't heard anything, which was like an unsigned treaty. It had always been like that since freshmen year. Hooray for class teamwork!

Less than a minute passed, and my phone rang again.

Who the hell was that?

Without looking at the caller, I stood up and excused myself from the class.

"Sorry Ma'am, this is an emergency," I said, warily. My professor nodded despite the grim look on her face as if saying, I'm disappointed in you, Miss Radovan. I never bragged about it, but I have had always been a teacher's favourite. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a suck up! I guess my studiousness and ability to stay awake in class were deeply appreciated by most professors.

I ran as fast to the door and as silently as I could. I looked at my still ringing phone. Andrew was calling.

"Hi," I said, breathlessly.

"Amelia." Andrew Rizzi's voice echoed on the opposite line.

"Andrew! I was in class. This better be important."

"Oh, you were? I'm so sorry. I'll just call you later."

"No, it's okay. We just have 5 minutes left anyway. Why'd you call? Is there something wrong?"

"Well, I just need you right now. Or should I say, your wise, womanly advice is needed." There was a barely audible chuckle.

"What? If this is a joke, I swear--" Before I could finish my sentence, someone shouted loudly on the other line. Was he in a fight or something?