Chapter 7: Breakaway

Chapter 7

"Where have you been, young lady?" I was barely inside the house when Mom grabbed my arm and dragged me to the nearest room. "I called you dozens of times yet you didn't answer!"

"Mom, please. I'm okay!" I was taken aback by the urgency in her tone before I realized the reason why. "I saw your text. I just didn't feel like replying. I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too. For freaking out," she sighed. She let go of my arm and slumped at the edge of the bed. She looked exhausted... and sad. "Get dressed then talk to them."

By "them", she meant Dad and Christy. I saw their new car parked at the front of our house when I arrived. I'm not familiar with cars much, but I'm pretty sure that it's a costly one. Dad had always been a car enthusiast, even when he wasn't rich yet. So when he had the means to buy one, he always bought the trendiest and most high-end car of the season.

I got dressed immediately as I was instructed. I put on a shirt and leggings as fast as I could. I didn't want to leave Mom with them alone. I knew this was hard for her too. When I left my room, I stood quietly to one side of the living room to survey the scene. Dad and Christy were sitting and holding hands on the largest couch while Mom was on the love seat. Dad was wearing his usual polo and jeans. Christy was in a green dress that looked expensive even from afar. Actually, they both looked expensive.

"There's my beautiful girl!" Dad beamed. I woke up from my reverie as I approached them. Both Dad and Christy gave me a hug. I tried to smile and not look as if this was a painful for me. When the hugging was over, I sat far away from them as possible.

The two of them returned to their seat then resumed holding each other's hand. They looked in love. It made me wonder how Mom felt.

The truth was, I can't even fully hate on them. They never had their own child, that's why they seemed to be genuinely fond of me even though I couldn't return the favor. I glanced at Mom. She was still smiling pleasantly. I wish I could act as convincing as her.

"How are you, dear?" Christy smiled. With her perfect makeup and posh jewelries, she looked modelesque.

As usual, I just gave a short yet polite answer.

She told me everything about her when we were left alone one time, although I really didn't want to know.

She was a receptionist at the casino where Dad used to play. They met when Dad was still struggling with his gambling addiction. They only dated after quite some time. She was a Hotel and Restaurant Management graduate, so with her help, Dad finally achieved his dream of owning a hotel.

When I first met Christy, I was so scared. I thought that she would be the bane of my existence—an evil stepmother. Turns out, she was actually nice. She was sincerely interested in me and asked me loads of questions. On my 18th birthday, she gave me her own present aside from the gift that she and Dad already had for me. It was a beautiful necklace which I had never worn out of pride. 

If I still wasn't rooting for my parents to be together again, I would have approved of her as a stepmom.

Time went by and when the small talks didn't progress anymore, Mom addressed me, "Honey, your father wants to ask you something." She still had a smile on her face yet I could practically hear the grimness in the way she said that.

Not again. Please. Not another bad news. I prayed before saying, "Okay?"

Mom looked at Dad, and Dad looked at Christy as if silently begging her to be the one to break the news.

Hesitantly, he spoke, "Amy, your Tita Christy and I will be living in the States." Dad's smile was gone now. That wasn't news, they always left the country. I was about to say something nice like, "Have a safe trip!" when he added, "for good."