ONE

"We will go to Snakerocks this evening."

Swiftpaw smiled as the apprentices fell silent.

"It's where most of the prey scraps is," Swiftpaw continued. "Fireheart knows it, but he ain't got the guts to go there to investigate. But we will. We will find out what is killing our prey in the forest, and we'll defeat it!"

His short speech was met by a thunderstorm of cheers.

"And when we defeat it, Bluestar needs to make us warriors!" Ashpaw squealed, bouncing up and down, his gray tabby fur bristling. His sister, Fernpaw, looked slightly apprehensive and scared.

"Swiftpaw, I think that it's best to-" Brightpaw tried to say, her fur prickling. She was interrupted by Ashpaw.

"I think it's best to go now!" The young apprentice meowed loudly.

"No! Swiftpaw, we need to think before acting. We don't know what is ahead of us, at Snakerocks." Brightpaw said firmly. "Whitestorm always says-" she was cut off again by Swiftpaw.

"Whitestorm is a dumb old cat! He is more passive than aggressive, and that ain't the key to survival!" Swiftpaw roared. Brightpaw recoiled, surprise by the anger and passion in the black-and-white apprentice's voice. "We've got to be so brave that even Bluestar can't deny it!"

"But will Bluestar punish us?" Thornpaw wondered. The ginger apprentice was silent until now, but now he straightened himself.

"Please, Swiftpaw, let some other cat come with us! Maybe Dustpelt?" Fernpaw said tentatively.

"If we bring a warrior with us then that cat's gonna take all the credit! We are going by ourselves!" Ashpaw jeered.

"I'm not going, I think we should still wait." Thornpaw proclaimed. He laid down, and curled up.

Swiftpaw spat. "Mouse-brain. When you wake up you'll be all by yourself in this damned den."

Brightpaw felt a shiver running down her spine, all the way long to her tail. "Swiftpaw, I understand you aren't happy about Cloudp-Cloudtail, but try to calm down and think. If we charge into the unknown without any preparation, we might be killed, or worse, exiled."

Swiftpaw looked thoughtful, but Ashpaw growled. "It won't come to that! Swiftpaw, if these scaredy-mice aren't coming, then let's go by ourselves."

Brightpaw took a step forward. "Swiftpaw, don't go! I care about you, and I don't want to lose you." Her voice became more insistent. She took another step when Swiftpaw didn't move. They were now almost touching, and Brightpaw could smell the scent of rabbit and see her reflection in Swiftpaw's amber eyes.
Swiftpaw held the ginger-and-white apprentice's gaze for a moment. Then he blinked.

"Sorry, Brightpaw. But I have to do this. Ashpaw, let's go."