Chapter 3: Friends of Uncle Sam

Location: Ooarai School Ship, Upper Decks

Time: Aug 25. 2100 HRS

One Hour Prior

"President... President!"

The voice of her PR manager snapped Anzu Kadotani back to attention. She blinked a couple of times and realized tears had rolled down her cheeks.

"President... Saunders is requesting landing clearance." Momo Kawashima repeated her request. Even though the two stood beside each other, the roars of the approaching plane's engine made it impossible to speak without a headset. "Are they clear?"

Anzu wiped out the tears from her eyes with her sleeves.

"Y-Yes. The order is given," she replied, masking out the cracks on her voice.

"Affirmative." Kawashima acknowledged before switching back her comm-lines to the frequency of the plane's radios. "C5 galaxy, you are clear to land. Please follow the arrayed lights as you descend."

"Roger," came a heavily-static reply.

Anzu and her two colleagues from the Student Council watched as an enormous plane slowly descended towards their school's vast open field. With their headlights at full beam, an array of transport trucks formed a makeshift runway lights to mark the boundaries of the runway.

The plane's four engines roared as it touched down on a dirt field, producing gale force winds on its sides and rear. It whooshed through the runway, producing plumes of dust clouds that blanketed the pristine summer night like a desert storm. Its tires screeched, and the flaps of its massive wings opened up to increase drag and help with the deceleration.

Anzu Kadotani curled her hands into tight fists to steady herself once more from shedding tears.

She already cried a few hours ago after Renta Utsuji, the MEXT official who had a hard-on for closing their school, left her alone to brood inside her office. She allowed herself to be vulnerable. She allowed herself to unleash all the bottled-up emotions inside her in torrents of tears and anguished screams. She was defeated and driven into a corner. She trusted the word of a sly man, and she cursed herself for being such a naive fool.

What's more, it fell to her, as the student council president, to break the news out to her fellow tankers regarding their school's closure. It took all her being not to break down as she watched her underclassmen dropping to their knees, completely devastated. Even if they did their best to win the 63rd National Senshado High School Tournament, everything still turned out for naught.

This day should have been a day of celebration. Their exhibition match with Chihatan, Pravda, and St. Gloriana should have been the grand finale of their summer break. Instead, today turned out to be their school's last.