"You're mistaken, Jen" she said, her voice suddenly dropping to a lower tone. "I'm already happy where I am"

Jennie gulped at their proximity.

"Y-you are?" she stammered in surprise.

That was another thing about Charlie. She was openly gay, and that was already uncharted territory for most people in such a conservative, gossip-fueled, upper class school. And it also meant Jennie's heart rate would pick up every time she made such cryptic comments that had her mind spiraling for hours after. And she was starting to think Charlie was pretty much aware of the effect she had on her.

Clearing her throat to regain some self-control, Jennie opted for a lighter change in subject.

"So, are you going to the Halloween party next Wednesday?"

"Hmm" Charlie seemed to ponder on it for a couple of seconds. "Depends" she shrugged.

"On what?"

"Whether you're going with me or not" she replied in a suggestive voice.

So much for a lighter change in subject.

"Y-you want to-to go with me-me?" Jennie mentally cringed at her own awkward stuttering self.

Charlie noticed the trepidation in her eyes and the blush on her cheeks, and she chuckled lightly.

"You are something else, Jennie Kim"

Feline eyes met intense blue ones and Jennie's breath hitched in the back of her throat. They were standing so close to each other that she could feel their breaths mixing together, and it was intoxicating. If she had the guts to do it, she could just inch her face a little closer and they'd be lip-locking.

As if sensing her hesitation – and almost as if she could read her mind –, Charlie cupped Jennie's chubby cheeks with both hands and she stared deep into her eyes as if asking for permission. Jennie nodded and she closed her eyes with anticipation, but the kiss never happened.

"Jennie"

That deep voice sent shivers down her spine, and her stomach did a somersault. Quickly detaching herself from the other girl's grip, and stepping away from her as if she were on fire and the sole touch of her fingertips burned her skin, Jennie turned around and met the icy cold stare of her father, who had just gotten home from work.

"Appa!" she exclaimed.

-

April 24th, 2019 (9:16am)

Jennie was worried.

She probably wouldn't admit to it out loud, but she couldn't deny to herself anymore the fact that she was worried about Lisa. She still hadn't seen her since the wedding, and that was just three days ago. The first day back in class, she just assumed Lisa was too tired from the weekend and decided to take a day off, so she swept it under the rug. The second day she didn't show up, though, Jennie began wondering if she had gotten injured once again and they had failed to inform her, so she marched into the faculty's main office to ask about Lisa, but received no answer. Nobody knew where she was.

And now on the third day, there was still no sign of Lisa, and Jennie's nerves were spiking through the roof. She had done everything in her power to distract herself and clear her thoughts from the younger girl, but something always pulled her mind back to it. Because, really, what could possibly be the reason for Lisa's absence from school? She was a straight A's student with amazing work ethics and an admirable sense of responsibility. Whatever had happened to her to keep her from showing up at school or even informing her professors, must've been really bad and Jennie couldn't stop herself from thinking the worst.