38 A Girl, A Boy, A Mother, and a Dragon

Start from the beginning

A small, white horn sat on the Pokémon's forehead. The horn had an unusual, and somewhat familiar, mark. It looked like a scar.

"Didn't the Dratini in that old photograph have a mark just like that?"

My jaw dropped. "You're right! It's the same mark. That would make this Dragonair that same Dratini from thirty years ago."

"Which means this Dragonair was here when Dratini was taken."

"And if Dragonair appeared immediately when Dratini called to it..."

"That means this has to be Dratini's mother!!" Paul and I declared at the same time, only to have Dragonair immediately howl at us. She appreciated our loud and annoying outburst not one bit.

I turned to the little serpent staring in awe at the supersized version of herself. "Dratini, you hear that?" She looked back at me. "That's your mom, Dratini! And that means you're finally home!"

Dratini went back to gazing at her mother.

"Do you recognize her at all?"

She responded with a quiet mewl, recoiling at Dragonair's intimidating glare.

"Don't be afraid." I reached down to give Dratini a light shove. "Go on over to her."

Unfortunately, Dragonair got furious when I tried to push Dratini forward and fired a powerful Hyper Beam at us. The four of us dove out of the way just on time, barely avoiding being vaporized.

"Ah! Why'd you attack us like that?!" I screamed as I returned to my feet.

Dragonair growled at us.

The intimidating glare worked enough to get Paul to take a cautious step away from the angry dragon. "She sees us with Dratini so I bet she thinks we're the ones who stole the egg in the first place."

I pushed my hands into the air, palms turned outward. "Hold on, Dragonair! Dratini's with us because we're friends. That's why we brought her back here! We're only trying to help!"

Not willing to listen, Dragonair opened her mouth to launch another attack.

"It's no use! She's an angry mom!"

"Dragonair, I promise we're not the ones who stole your egg!" I knelt down beside the serpent sitting at my feet. "Dratini! Talk to her! Tell her we're on your side before we get reduced to ashes!"

Dratini felt frightened at the thought of approaching her mother, but she did not want the latter to happen either. Slowly worming her way forward, Dratini sucked in a mighty breath and let out a cry akin to an ear-splitting screech.

We all covered our ears to try blocking out the unpleasant tone.

"I didn't think Dratini could learn Screech," hissed Paul as he nearly slammed his head into the ground just to get rid of the noise.

"No, you idiot! She's not attacking. She's crying!"

Dragonair heard the screeching, canceled the Hyper Beam, and looked at Dratini curiously for a long time. After a few moments, her eyes widened, and her face was overcome by an endearing look.

Dratini saw her mother's new expression and quieted down.

"Alright then," I sighed, straightening my shoulders to project my voice. "Dragonair, this Dratini is your child. And the only reason we came here today was so we could bring her back to you."

Dragonair narrowed her eyes in anger.

"Please listen to her, Dragonair," pleaded Paul from behind me.