Chapter 1:

Lucile's POV

I just had to deal with it. People weren't going to pick me anyway. I was too old. No one wants a 16-year-old girl to adopt. They all want younger kids. It's just not fair; life's not fair. But I would soon want to take back those words because my life all changed one day, and it all started like this...

"Lucy! Get up, get dressed. People are coming to look at us!" Martha screamed as she jumped on my bed. I smiled at those words, then frowned.

"Llllluuuucccyyyy!!" Martha whined, pulling back my covers. I groaned.

"Okay, okay, I'm up, Mar," I whispered, throwing on some of my best clothes. Then I brushed my hair and looked in the mirror. I looked okay, I guess, I mean, I didn't look like royalty, but I looked alright.

"Children! Come downstairs. We have visitors!" Mrs. Korn's called to us.

"Okay, kiddos, time to shine," I said to the four other orphans, Tom, Madison, Elliot, and Martha. "I hope they pick me!" Rang threw the halls as the kids raced down the stairs. I remember when I was as excited as them. Then I just got disappointed after, so I never learned ever get excited because you get disappointed.

As I made it to the end of the stairs, Mrs. Korn's ushered me to where the other kids stood. In front of them stood no other than the King and Queen.

"O my!" The Queen smiled, then clapping her hands together. The King just nodded and smiled. "Children, I wish I could adopt all of you! But... I can only adopt one child. That's up in age." The Queen smiled.

Then I felt all eyes drift to where I was standing. I thought of this day every night I had lived here, and I never imagined I would get adopted by the Queen and King.