New Alliance

Kagome and Bankotsu were back on the road. There haven't been any jewel shards popping up lately. It made Kagome wonder when the next one will come up. She was glad for Bankotsu's company. He was patient, some of the time. But it only happened whenever they came up against a powerful or difficult demon, which was sometimes annoying. Today the two were just walking along the road until Kagome sensed the presence of a very familiar aura nearby.

"I think we're about to encounter a familiar company." Kagome stated.

"Who?" Bankotsu questioned, brow arched.

In a flash of white, a familiar demon appeared in the middle of the road. A dog demon to be most precise. One who is feared and very powerful among other demons.

"Lord Sesshomaru." Kagome said.

"Miko." Sesshomaru said. He soon noticed Bankotsu next to her. "Miko, where is the rest of your group?"

"Inuyasha tried to kill me. Bankotsu rescued me and took care of me." Kagome explained.

"That foolish hanyō." Sesshomaru sighed.

"Indeed." Kagome agreed.

Sesshomaru was right about that aspect. Inuyasha didn't really know the meaning of being the alpha of a pack nor did he really have any loyalty to them. He was always focused on himself and didn't really want to take care of anyone if they were sick. He was always in a hurry to find the jewel shards, even if he didn't know where they were. Besides, he has the dead miko now. So he wouldn't need her anyway. Kikyō probably put a spell on him to get rid of Kagome. If she had died, Kikyō would get the rest of her soul. But Kagome wouldn't let that happen if she came across Kikyō.

"Why do you trust this mercenary?" Sesshomaru asked.

"He's been protecting me ever since I first recovered. He also promised that he would protect me." Kagome told him.

"Hm," Sesshomaru hummed and stared at Bankotsu, "You seem to be very loyal towards the miko, mercenary."

"I made a promise to her. I promised that nothing bad would happen to her while collecting the jewel shards," Bankotsu responded, "Not to mention that I was getting very bored at the temple."

"Of course." Sesshomaru said.

"So what brings you here, Lord Sesshomaru?" Kagome asked.

"I was traveling with my group when I sensed your aura nearby." Sesshomaru replied.

"I see. Any word on Naraku?" Kagome questioned.

"None. I was hoping that you might." Sesshomaru answered.

"I'm sorry. We haven't encountered him at all since we started traveling." Kagome apologized.

"The spider is definitely hard to find." Sesshomaru commented. Then he took out a pouch from his pocket and handed it to Kagome.

Kagome gently grabbed it and opened it up to reveal three shikon jewels.

"Where did you-"

"I defeated two powerful yokai four days ago and retrieved them. I was hoping to run into you and give you them." Sesshomaru interrupted.

"Thank you, Lord Sesshomaru." Kagome thanked him.

She placed her hand on the jewel shards, purifying them. When she lifted her hand off, the shards were their natural pink color, purified. She sighed in relief and put the shards into her small bottle that's tied around her neck, hidden underneath her clothes.

"How can we contact you if we find information on Naraku?" Bankotsu asked.

Sesshomaru took out something from his kimono sleeves and held out a light blue orb with a dark blue crescent moon inside.

"Concentrate your aura on this and I'll be able to get to your location." Sesshomaru explained as he handed the orb to Kagome who gently received it.

"Thank you once more, Lord Sesshomaru." Kagome slightly bowed towards him.

Sesshomaru nodded and formed into a large ball of energy. Then he went up into the sky and flew away.

"Do you really trust Sesshomaru?" Bankotsu asked.

"Yes," Kagome nodded, "He has a score to settle with Naraku and he's a powerful demon as well. So he can be trusted."

"If we get another chance, I want to battle him." Bankotsu declared.

"I knew that you were going to say that." Kagome sighed.

"You already know me too well." Bankotsu grinned, amusingly.

Kagome smiled and chuckled at that statement.

==============================================

An alliance with a powerful person is never safe. - Phaedrus